SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Career: Selling myself short or unrealistic expectations?

I was just wondering if I could ask the forum for some career advice; the problem is I don't know if I'm selling myself short or if I have unrealistic expectations. My current situation is this:

I have a masters degree in Electronic Engineering from one of the top five UK universities.
    I have five years experience as a PHP web programmer, currently working on a large and interesting international project which receives over 100,000 unique visitors a day. The work involves analysis, core programming and support of other development teams (Flash, HTML coders, etc). I'd say now that I have a very good grasp of all the major web technologies.
    As well as PHP I can program in C and I have experience programming in Java and .net. I am also a Linux user.

The problem is that I seem to be earning less and further down the career ladder than my friends from university are. Although my work colleagues are very friendly, I have the feeling that I am not surrounded by my intellectual piers I know that sounds terribly snobbish, but I think it's a good gauge to know if I'm where I should be as far as career goes. I also feel that PHP is a bit of a kiddy language, although having said that PHP used properly allows rapid, effective and well structured web development just like any other language.

The question is, should I:

a) stop worrying, continue with PHP and web development and become an expert in this particular field
    b) improve my skills with another language (Java, C++, etc) and pursue a career with one of these
    c) use my degree skills and do something else entirely

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Last edited by SlappyTheFish; Apr 21, 2009 at 08:18.
    --
    Online, visual guide to scales and modes:
    www.scalefinder.info

SitePoint Enthusiast Gerald Winter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't suggest even thinking about jumping ship, but if you are going to stay in IT I would suggest:

1. Improving your knowledge in your existing skill set
    2. Strong emphasis on Java and Javascript
    3. Study and gain database expertise
    Gerald Winter
    Tips from Mr Bigcheck to make your check Bigger
    Save money on all inclusive vacation packages