SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not knowledgable with CGI Perl,PHP,ASP etc etc... but i plan on getting there.

Im putting up a site and need certain things as soon as possible (polls, counters, BBS, and form handlers and such).

I see these places offering things like that hosted on their server. And that i would just need to edit certain things to link to their site and access the CGI on their server rather than mine...

Is this a good route?
    it seems kinda like a shortcut, and usually shortcuts arent that great of a bargain in the end...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone is providing you with a free service, they usually want something in return. If you have CGI permissions and perl installed, you can easily setup all of those features... advert free and integrated better with your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    been there, done that...and I have the T-Shirt.

don't do it. because I've been to several sites that use this and a disadvantage is that if their servers aren't fast it takes that MUCH LONGER for your site to come up. and what if the server is down? it delays your site like you wouldn't believe.

sam

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good deal man
    thanks

thats what i was thinking, its hard not to forget the "if its sounds too good to be true..." saying

i suppose the internet wont redefine or prove wrong that saying... yet at least