User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to correct negative review (false?)

Re: /auctions/60244

I posted this auction a while back and had a guy almost peter me (emails, phone calls and bid happy). After he "won" the auction he disappeared and never fulfilled his end of the auction. no worries as the site was sold to another bidder / interested party.

3 days ago I left a negative comment as to warn other sellers to be aware of this bidder. He in turn left me negative review with the following comment:
    "The site was not producing the earnings it said it was doing"

I had nothing to lie about and addressed everything specifically on the listing (revenue, traffic etc) I was quite clear when the site made money and why it wasn't making any at this point.

So basically he left me a bad review for something I feel was untrue.

Is there a way to have this "review" reviewed and corrected off my profile?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Chris
    Share your thoughts at the work at home blog

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a look at your auction. It looks deceptive to me. If the site isn't making any money you don't put down $2067 as monthly revenue. It's not even like you explained clearly in the listing that the figure was plucked from two particular months last year and that it's making near $0 now (that only emerged in the questions and answers of the thread). That's a cheap and dirty trick.

Have you considered that he may have felt fully justified in not paying you because your site did not match what you claimed? He then did you a favour of not leaving negative feedback and just getting on with his life. It's a shame you didn't do the same.

If anyone has cause to complain about getting negative feedback it's him.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I believe I was quite clear in the description.

income:
    Nov 1 2008 - Jan 1 2009
    Amazon: $40,808 in sales and $3,208 in referral income
    ebay income: $500.47
    Built in adsense : $427.18 (adsense ads placed throughout the site)

I specifically said I did not promote after that. I'm not here to argue with you, but I did spell everything out very clearly in the auction.

Further. In the 16 plus emails (pm) between us, I was quite clear as to the traffic, income and everything relating to the site. If you look at the bid history you can see that the said bidder increased the bid after every discussion we had.

What I failed to mention is that the bidder in a phone conversation said he had no experience with the internet and ecommerce type websites and didn;t know how to promote (as I did) via PPC engines.

All he had to say to say was not interested, rather than ignore my email after he won the auction. If I was so deceptive, why did an experienced marketer grab it immediately after him?

But like I said.. I only asked to get advice and not argue with you or anyone else.

Regards

Chris

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could write to Support and request the feedback be removed but if you had been more clear on the lack of profit from the start you may have stood a better chance.

Nov 1 2008 - Jan 1 2009
    Amazon: $40,808 in sales and $3,208 in referral income
    ebay income: $500.47
    Built in adsense : $427.18 (adsense ads placed throughout the site)
    To me that's no automatic admission that the site is making no profit at present. A smart operator with experience may ask the right questions to discover this but a bidder with no experience is likely to have not spotted that gotcha till much later.

In the 16 plus emails (pm) between us, I was quite clear as to the traffic, income and everything relating to the site. If you look at the bid history you can see that the said bidder increased the bid after every discussion we had.
    I can't see your emails so can't tell when he increased his bids in relation to the emails. He does not seem to have raised any questions in the thread and we have no idea whether he read your replies in the thread. He may have been under the wrong impression on profit when he made any (or all) of his bids.

# Monthly Revenue (USD): 2,067
    "The site was not producing the earnings it said it was doing"
    His comment is accurate - the site is not making what it claimed it was. And that's what he'll likely argue if the feedback is contested. Whether you accept it or not, claiming those monthly revenue figures was a mistake.

Maybe you could ask support to withdraw the negative feedback you left first though I, personally, would prefer to see both feedback stand as it seems an accurate reflection on both of you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again.

But I was very clear and answered any and all questions asked about this auction.

All numbers were provided and I did say that I did not promote nor make much income from the site in 2009. Promoting is in direct relation to making $$.

I don't see how I could not be clearer. Look at 90% of the sites on sale here at Sp and you see they list exactly how I did. That's where I got the format from.

When is it up to the buyer to make sure they get every possible question answered?

my beef is this..
    1. Why not make sure you get ALL questions answered before you make a purchase if you have doubts? He had ample opportunity to do so.

2. why not simply say you don't want the site any longer if you feel you've been misled? An email (pm) takes seconds. His last bid was days before the auction ended so he had enough time.

3. He placed a bid he had no intention of paying and made it high so no one else would go above him. Killed my original sale. look at his bidding pattern.

It seems we have a difference of opinions and as mentioned I'm not here to argue with you or anyone else..just seek advice if it can be done.

Regards

Chris

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigsexy View Post
    But I was very clear and answered any and all questions asked about this auction.
    Buyers shouldn't have to tease all the pertinent information out of the seller. Your adwords spend, for example, should have been in the auction details, not buried deep in comments.

It's better to be upfront with all the information, especially the costs to run.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. noted for future auctions.

To be truthful I did forget to post that and as soon as I was asked I made that info available.

I have to ask though.. when is it up to the buyer to get full details about what he/she is buying before going bid happy?

Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    Buyers shouldn't have to tease all the pertinent information out of the seller. Your adwords spend, for example, should have been in the auction details, not buried deep in comments.

It's better to be upfront with all the information, especially the costs to run.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is always up to the buyer to do due diligence.

Just as it's always up to the seller to be as transparent as possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your question is how to remove feedback that you claim is false. As 3Six said, contact support, but be prepared to have your request declined. While you think it was false because you were clear, the discussion above clearly indicates that there is some room for a contrary opinion. People are entitled to an opinion, and just because your interpretation of the facts leads to another opinion, that does not necessarily lead to a conclusion that his interpretation is false.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

I do appreciate everyone's opinion.