SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Valuing Yourself

I think this is something worth examining from time to time. I remember there was a time in my life not long ago when I had been making about $12/hour, and I had never experienced what it was like to earn more. I had grown talented at making websites, and I met someone that wanted me to help them with their customers' websites.

I had been used to charging the equivalent of the same wages I was making at my full time job (customer service) to my website customers. Then my new business partner told me we would be charging our new customer $1500/month. This was HUGE to me. This was almost as much as I was making on my full time job.

The problem I had was I felt guilty. All we did was make a design and submit the site to some directories. Then the customer wanted some miscellaneous edits. My partner at the time said we would need to charge $300 more. At this point I protected. I said this will take me no more than a few minutes to do this, and it was not fair for me to receive $300 for this work.

Then I remember our phone conversation. My business partner told me that if I were there with you now I would grab you by the shoulders and shake you, and tell you its okay to earn this money. You have spent years learning how to do this work, and though it may only take you a few minutes to do this, the customer is also paying you for the commitment you have made in your life to reach this point where completing the work professionally can be done in only a few minutes.

At the time, I still didn't completely understand him or take it to heart, but in the years that followed, I learned to accept that the years I had put into learning about websites was worth more than I had ever imagined.

Now, software that I helped create is installed on 100,000 websites and growing, and there are tens of millions of pages on the web that were generated by the software I helped create. I am starting to realize the value of what I have learned. I don't have millions of dollars in the bank, a super sports car, or a big house, but I do have more freedom in my life that I ever could have imagined those years ago where my partner grabbed me by the shoulders (over the phone) and told me that I was worth something, and that I didn't have to feel guilty about making money, especially in light of all the time I had spent learning and helping people with their websites.

I still believe that I could improve in this area, and I believe that people's beliefs about money, as well as the value they can provide to others, is the main reason they are not as successful as they could be.

Your thoughts?

SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you enjoy your work and are happy I believe that's what truly matters. I started developing websites back in 1998 when I was 12 years old but because I was so young and having fun the money never crossed my mind. I still have that same feeling today and I do this as my full time job, I'm not sure if its good or bad that I still don't care about the money but I do know that I am very happy and lucky to do this type of stuff. I've met a lot of great people along the way and to me that is better than the sports car or big house.

It's a different situation for everyone, some people are on here to make a lot of money and some are on here to enjoy their work.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, in general, people are their own worst enemies when it comes to achieving what they want in life. I'm sure it all goes back to our childhoods.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    You have spent years learning how to do this work, and though it may only take you a few minutes to do this, the customer is also paying you for the commitment you have made in your life to reach this point where completing the work professionally can be done in only a few minutes.
    I think your partner's advice is the key to getting rid of the feeling of guilt. What you can deliver is only a few minutes may have taken half a lifetime of experience to perfect. What the client is paying for is the value of the product, not a clear-cut translation from the time it took to create the product.

I'm glad to read that you resolved your guilt about being successful. I think we all face this some extent. And the sooner we can rationalize why there's nothing to be guilty of, the better off we are.

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shockbotkins View Post
    As long as you enjoy your work and are happy I believe that's what truly matters. I started developing websites back in 1998 when I was 12 years old but because I was so young and having fun the money never crossed my mind. I still have that same feeling today and I do this as my full time job, I'm not sure if its good or bad that I still don't care about the money but I do know that I am very happy and lucky to do this type of stuff. I've met a lot of great people along the way and to me that is better than the sports car or big house.

It's a different situation for everyone, some people are on here to make a lot of money and some are on here to enjoy their work.
    Why is it either or? I enjoy my work, and I try to make as much as I can doing it.

SitePoint Evangelist Scott.Botkins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    Why is it either or? I enjoy my work, and I try to make as much as I can doing it.
    Nothing wrong with that, I was just putting a few example situations, it's different for everybody and I don't think there is a right or wrong one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the flip side, there are people who have not put in the work, and just want to make a quick buck. Being consistent in unfolding your plan is key to success, and sometimes it takes time to develop. In my case it took a few years, but after I had worked at it for a long I can to realize that I was worth something, and it happened somewhat naturally, but it did help to get some help from my business partner.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy hooperman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, software that I helped create is installed on 100,000 websites and growing, and there are tens of millions of pages on the web that were generated by the software I helped create.
    So you're the culprit!

I still believe that I could improve in this area, and I believe that people's beliefs about money, as well as the value they can provide to others, is the main reason they are not as successful as they could be.
    I agree with this, and it holds true in many areas. What you believe about yourself becomes a reality, and then that reality reinforces the belief. I think we all need shaking out of unhelpful beliefs from time to time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say what you are doing is great, but it is the large prices that is the reason why many new Internet Marketers are discouraged at the prices, and no longer want to commit. I believe what you are doing is right, however, it is just sad to see people come and go. Just my opinion.
    Read more about Albert Fang's collection of deep thoughts, experiences, and ideas on business, politics, and society today.

http://fangalbert.com | Twitter | LinkedIn

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hooperman View Post
    I agree with this, and it holds true in many areas. What you believe about yourself becomes a reality, and then that reality reinforces the belief. I think we all need shaking out of unhelpful beliefs from time to time.
    Yes, and a belief in basics. From a basic standpoint, if we build something that is helpful and valuable in some way, people will want to buy it. Often people go looking for some "magic cure" that will be the next great thing, when the reality is they already have a value, and can offer something that really helps people without dreaming up some elaborate plan.

Going along with this belief in simplicity is the idea that there is some step I can take right now that will move things forward. It may take only a few minutes, but coming up with small steps forward that I can do every day is another "secret".