SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash 6 player... are they trying to ruin us!!

Has anyone noticed that we are upto revision 24 of the Flash 6 (MX) player?? What are Macromedia doing!! Im worried that clients are going to start asking NOT to use Flash becuase the player is so flawed!! It's only a matter of time before this filters down to the IT engineers and head of departments...humph, smells of a rush release to me, must have been becuase Adobe launched Live Motion 2 (not that it's any real competition!).

The biggies I've read about in previous versions are:

-When a movie is told to load (eg on a layer), and then is told to stop loading, it doesn't, it carries on loading in the background, soaking up valuable bandwidth (real nice one that!)

-Active X flaw (Internet Explorer on PC) that could expose users to attacks from hackers because of some kind of buffer overflow vulnerability.

Please oh please, if any hackers are reading this...LEAVE FLASH ALONE, ITS THE SAVIOUR OF THE UNIVERSE!
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Flash 6 player... are they trying to ruin us!!

Are Mircosoft now the bench mark for how to release new software??? ie. releasing beta version's as fully tested versions (couldn't resist.... probably an out of date gag now!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True Chas, true... The one thing that really gets my back up is that it's hard work enough to get end users to download a plug-in anyway, without making them download a new version every week!! I am very disappointed in Macromedia of letting Flash 6 player be released an such an obvious beta stage. They are an excellent company that I hold in very high esteem for their innovations and development for the deign community, but I would love to know what went wrong with the Flash 6 player development team!!

They are really not doing us Flash designers any favours with all the security issues and problems that are associated with Flash 6 player, and it simply adds fuel to the fire for all anti-flashers out there. Surely if this continues you will get people possitivly STOPPING AWAY from Flash sites becuase of security worries and scare mongery from the IT press.

...humph, I'm worried!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think clients won't stop asking for Flash as Flash is the new way to do web design. Most clients wouldn't even know about these things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most clients probably won't know but if I'm trying to present a web solution based upon Flash technology, the last thing I want to have to do is make excuses on behalf of Macromedia when something goes wrong on the software side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if your going to make a presentation then why not just create a projector and don't worry about the SWF problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most clients probably won't know but if I'm trying to present a web solution based upon Flash technology, the last thing I want to have to do is make excuses on behalf of Macromedia when something goes wrong on the software side.
    Present a web solution as in try to sell not make a presentation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats what I'm talking about...I mean do us Flash designers really want to be forced back to the dark ages of pure HTML (all be it dynamicaly driven, with clients not be wowed by Flash, but worried about security risks?? Those two words sue do make the ears of company network admins stand up, and what use is Flash if people become negative to it?!? I mean, do people really want to upgrade their flash plug-in every week becuase of a new issue????

Worrying...