SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adobe vs Macromedia...why can't they just be friends??

I don't know if anyone was following this story, but Adobe took Macromedia to court over certain application GUI elements that Adobe had copywrited. I think the main one was tabbed palettes... anyay, I was reading the news on my Palm (AvantGo - superb application, even Sitepoint have a channel now!!) on the way home last night, and came across this little gem:

-Macromedia had to pay Adobe US$2.8 million

-Macromedia appealed or what ever (I aint no lawyer), and ended up getting US$4.9 million

...what is all this about! Why can't they just be friends, and enjoy how each company has a certain overlap of products (GoLive/Dreamweaver, Live Motion/Flash, Freehand/Illustrator), but then each has speciality areas... Adobe for print-Photoshop/Macromedia droped Xres many moons ago, and Macromedia have nothing to touch InDesign really, where as Macromedia have a strong showing for multimedia, Live Motion, although a little more grown-up doesnt touch Flash MX, and Director, no competition.

Jeez, just think what might of happened if they hadn't had all those greedy lawyers... Adobe might have put a couple more things in Photoshop 7!

Also, is this why you think Macromedia are now porting everything across to their MX interface?? I hear that Dreamweaver is using the MX interface introduced with Flash MX too...seems like this is the future of Macromedia now! Does anyone remember when Flash 5 came out, it was also touted as showcasing the new unified GUI that would be carried across their whole product range, that lasted...1 version! I hope the refine the MX GUI, and stick with it this time!!
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seeds of discontent seem to have been sown in 1996, when Adobe first requested that Macromedia stop creating products that Adobe deemed were too similar to its own. Claiming the patent was invalid and unenforceable, Macromedia told them as much in 1996, and readvised them when they last contacted Macromedia in May, 1999.
    link

It would be great to have one standard interface across all these products. (Even from different companies.) I guess I won't hold my breath, tho...

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using the new "MX" interface for DW and it's quite nice! You can choose to use it exclusively or you can choose the "floating tools" GUI that is more like DW4 if you wish...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be on a GoLive mailing list... there was about three Adobe reps on the list and one or two Macromedia reps. Fights would break out about once a month for various silly reasons, it was really pathetic. Other list members would have to jump in, just telling both sides to shut up.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can imagine...what a nighmare situation in what I imagine was meant to be a 'proffesional' discussion=children!

It would be great wouldn't it if we did get a unified interface across applications, but you know as well as I do that this will never happen. I think we have got the closest to this with the 'tabbed' palettes concept.

I agree that Macromedias new MX interface works particularly very well on a single monitor, and equally as well on dual of course! I love how in Flash MX you can get to full screen with one click (minimise timeline to title bar), and one key press (tab)...fabulous!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WELCOME TO AMERICA! This is the country where everybody files suits against everybody for the studpist thing. Adobe sues Macromedia...Then Macromedia counters Adobe...Your right why can't they be friends but they can't. Its a competetion. Yes Adobe and Macromedia make basically the same products.

Freehand = Illustrator
    Fireworks = Photoshop
    LiveMotion = Flash
    GoLive = Dreamweaver

Only InDesign and Director are the only 2 programs that are different.

Just welcome to America. Adobe and Macromedia are basically the same company. Maybe they should merge.....Nah that wouldn't work out right.

Look what happened over the past few months. Macromedia releases Flash MX so Adobe counters with Photoshop 7. Macromedia counters the Photoshop 7 upgrade with Studio MX that includes Dreamweaver, Flash, Freehand, ColdFusion, and Fireworks. C'mon Adobe your turn to counter. Thats all Macromedia and Adobe do. Counter release each other. Yet what sells more?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, your equations are way off. Photoshop and Fireworks are not equal and are not for the same purposes at all.

Fireworks bears a closer resemblance to Paint Shop Pro.
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Enthusiast Fluffy bunny slippers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fireworks feels like a cut down version of illustrator to me. with a drop photoshop.
    If you like the look of my slippers you should see my undies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fireworks bears a closer resemblance to Paint Shop Pro.
    fireworks feels like a cut down version of illustrator to me. with a drop photoshop.
    ** samsm covers his ears and dives behind a bunker

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not the greatest joke

This is exactly how the fights begin.

A thread strays enough that someone says something can be interpreted as criticism of one product or another and next thing you know zealots have popped out of the shadows yelling for each other's throats.

I was just kidding though, I didn't think it would happen here.
    Last edited by samsm; May 28, 2002 at 09:07.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stand by my last post. I really am confused ...

Really, Fireworks is a great product for what it is for. Photoshop is also a great product for what it is for.

My statement about the equation is that they aren't both for the same thing (like GoLive and Flash are, for isntance)

It is sad that both companies overlap but that's what competition is about. I really wish there was a competitor to Photoshop so that Adobe would make some half-decent features and further the actual software though. As it is they've just been puddling around since v4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note: I will not prolong discussion of my bad joke beyond this post

The fights almost never begin for logical reasons. Someone says something true but is perceived as criticism (like: Flash has more scripting options than LiveMotion) and the battle begins.

That's what I was getting at... I didn't intend to say that anyone here was being unfair to Fireworks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Jez I agree, it was a shame to see Xres fall by the wayside... that was the only competition to Photoshop really. Do you remember it had that kinda unique feature of trying to be resolution independent... you worked on a low res version of the image, and it updated the hi res? I'm not sure how well it worked, but it was a good idea!!

I suppose now-a-days a feature like that isn't needed anymore, in those days I had 64 megs of RAM in my litle 486DX2100, and I thought I was a real power user...now I have 1024 megs, and so does my mate who plays games and fiddles around with networks! Humph, how things change!!

This is not a slanging match about how 'I like my software better than yours'...thats simply boring, leave that to the Corel Draw/Photopaint users (watch the replies flood in now!!). I was just venting my anger at little frustraited lawyers running around stealing our favourite companies of R&D cash!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by samsm
    The fights almost never begin for logical reasons. Someone says something true but is perceived as criticism (like: Flash has more scripting options than LiveMotion) and the battle begins.
    For the record, your comment is dead on. Flash DOES have more scripting options that Live Motion. It has no Actionscript as Flash does. SO in this case, it's not an argument, it's fact.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes