SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just me, or are there only two main types of web audiences?

Over the past few years, starting off as a client, site owner, and now a provider, the one thing that I have consistently found to ring true about people who access the web are that they can be classified under 2 main categories.

1) Those that care.
    2) Those that don't.

Those that care: Not necessarily people who are tech-savvy, but people who tend to be a bit more attentive. These are people who worry/pay attention if a virus is reported in the news, or would listen to a tech-savvy friend about which browser to use, which software to use, etc.

There is no (at least, I am not aware of any) actual age or demographic for people like this: I've had clients that are 50+ year olds, both male and female, that have either just purchased a computer, or are in the process of upgrading, or having their first website made, and they are very interested in things regarding security, quality of experience, which email provider to use, anti-virus etc. They wanted everything sorted and asked me to "secure" them as much as I was willing to do so.

and of course, there are:

Those that don't care: Again, there is no income bracket or age demographic or gender preference. I've met young people (e.g. 16-24) who simply don't give a damn. One time, I had to do a house call to explain to my client how to update his website, and he had 3 teenage children. A 12 year old girl, and two 20+ boys. When I was explaining about general online security et al, the 12 year old girl was very attentive. In fact, she immediately switched her browser to Firefox from IE.

The two boys weren't as "caring" though. They were still using IE6 on their computers, downloading files via Kazaa. I explained to them the security risks, etc. And they simply didn't care. I've had to make 2 more house calls to that client, and to this day, while the parents and the 12-year old girl are running either chrome of firefox, the two boys can't be bothered, and are still running IE6. Even after I had installed chrome.

It's not like it's the "stupid kids" syndrome either. Both of the boys go to decent Universities, and one of their same-age cousins is actually at a "lesser" University, but always runs his virus checks and uses Opera to browse.

Over the years, I've had hundreds of experiences exactly like this. Some people simply care, others simply don't.

And I'm not going to beat the dead horse regarding companies that are trapped with IE6. Even with regards to them, there are companies who "care enough and wish to upgrade, but can't, thanks to various reasons", and companies that simply don't give a damn either.

Am I the only one that has noticed this?
    Last edited by XLCowBoy; Apr 20, 2009 at 04:03.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought your post would be about something different from the title. You're more classifying computer users than web audiences, and you've lumped everyone that won't upgrade from IE6 into "don't care"

It's true, some people don't care. Computers are just a tool, like a hammer or a book, in their lives. It's not a focal point, just a way to get things done, so if the software they have gets things done, they don't need to spend time thinking about what ifs.

Sometimes I wish I could think like them.

Designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    I thought your post would be about something different from the title. You're more classifying computer users than web audiences, and you've lumped everyone that won't upgrade from IE6 into "don't care"
    Actually, I would say we're talking more about web users rather than a computer user. A computer user who does not go online (are there such people?) isn't really going to be affected by, say, an online-borne virus.

I wasn't trying to lump IE6 users into "don't care", but aside from the companies that are technically/legally/various other reasons for being tied down to IE6, it's hard to imagine why people who are already made aware (not people who are ignorant - there are those who are ignorant but DO care) simply don't care enough to make an effort.

It's true, some people don't care. Computers are just a tool, like a hammer or a book, in their lives. It's not a focal point, just a way to get things done, so if the software they have gets things done, they don't need to spend time thinking about what ifs.

Sometimes I wish I could think like them.
    It actually boggles my mind. Something as mundane as checking your emails can be compromised if you have a badly maintained computer, without updated anti-virus software, running IE6. Could you imagine purchasing something online in that environment? And that is exactly what I've told some of my clients: you people are practically giving crooks your credit card, and...

...and they just don't care.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know people who are IE6 users, I tell them that there are hundreds of unpatched security risks, that websites will not always look right for them and as it is their personal computers they have no reason to avoid upgrading... their excuse is nothing more than “I think IE6 is nice to use, and that is all that matters”. Sometimes I look at this crazed logic and just come to the conclusion... well there are always people who whether through denial or wilful ignorance will have sex without protection with someone they have just met, and that sums up IE6 users such as whom I mentioned. They are strolling around the internet (a place full of diseased malicious code) and think “it won’t happen to me” jumping from site to site and inevitably wondering why their machines have stopped working, blaming Microsoft rather than themselves.