SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

multiple-choice pricing plan?

when faced with a large feature list, and you know the budget is fairly low, does anyone try to make a few pricing plans for the client?

ie you can get all these features you want for $1500, but we can also work something out for $500 cause that's all you have. or is there a pitfall to doing this?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's how your cable company, phone company, and most other service providers price products that aren't custom-quoted

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    That's how your cable company, phone company, and most other service providers price products that aren't custom-quoted
    is that a bad thing? i find it really hard to break down every step into communicable prices, but for many features i can come up with a price.

the problem is you just can't anticipate how much maintenance a project is going to become

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something to think about: are clients with tiny budgets the best clients you want to work with?
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amf45 View Post
    Something to think about: are clients with tiny budgets the best clients you want to work with?
    no, but i do believe that you don't need buckets of cash to have a website. i just don't think you deserve a site with a gazillion bells and whistles though.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if clients with tiny budgets aren't the best clients you want to work with... WHY are you trying to force yourself to work with them? You could always spend your days looking for clients with buckets of cash instead and that might be a more profitable use of your time.

Just sayin'.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amf45 View Post
    So if clients with tiny budgets aren't the best clients you want to work with... WHY are you trying to force yourself to work with them? You could always spend your days looking for clients with buckets of cash instead and that might be a more profitable use of your time.

Just sayin'.
    well my goal is to be working on sites for people in the music industry. and like many other industries it has been suffering a lot lately. i do think it will pull up again in the future though.

i'm more concerned with getting my feet on the ground and doing nice work more than i am about the money, but it's definitely an issue when i'm drawing up quotes.

but let's say i was working with someone who had a large budget, don't you think there is still the same problem where they might want a lower priced option which is less work on your end? and is there a pitfall to offering that lower price plan?