User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mail() sent from server is getting lost

I'm subscribed to a webhosting service. I have a PHP form set up that accepts requests (from mobile phones, actually); these requests include a to: and from: address. When it receives a request with these two variables, it accesses a MySQL db and then sends an email to the to: address, on behalf of the from: address.

That all works fine. I set up logging, and in several days of logs, haven't seen a single error. So everything is making into the mail queue just fine. But sometimes messages don't go through; they seem to get lost somewhere and never make it to the recipient.

The only thing I can think of is that messages are getting marked as spam by the recipients' provider?

The messages are getting sent with a different From: address in the header that has nothing to do with my server. Also, sometimes the messages will have an empty subject line. Would filling in the subject line and leaving out the From: address help reduce my "spam" rating?

Is there anything I can do to make sure the messages don't get stopped by spam filters?

Any other possibilities as to why the emails aren't making it to their destination?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by $skills=NULL View Post
    I'm subscribed to a webhosting service. I have a PHP form set up that accepts requests (from mobile phones, actually); these requests include a to: and from: address. When it receives a request with these two variables, it accesses a MySQL db and then sends an email to the to: address, on behalf of the from: address.

That all works fine. I set up logging, and in several days of logs, haven't seen a single error. So everything is making into the mail queue just fine. But sometimes messages don't go through; they seem to get lost somewhere and never make it to the recipient.

The only thing I can think of is that messages are getting marked as spam by the recipients' provider?

The messages are getting sent with a different From: address in the header that has nothing to do with my server. Also, sometimes the messages will have an empty subject line. Would filling in the subject line and leaving out the From: address help reduce my "spam" rating?

Is there anything I can do to make sure the messages don't get stopped by spam filters?

Any other possibilities as to why the emails aren't making it to their destination?
    First of all you must confirm that the problem really has to do with your messages being marked as spam and not some other problem

You must first make sure your messages are actually leaving the server.

It's hard to troubleshoot an email server if you dont have a full control over it, like if you are on a shared server. You should probably ask your webhost to help you find out what the problem is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your servers mx entries, let me know your domain and I'll run a scan on your server for you, chances are this is the problem - if i had a dollar for every time someone asked me this question and the answer was mx entries, I'd have about $11/$11... lol.
    :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WARNING: One or more of your mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or a dash, then the host name). If your mailserver sends out E-mail using this domain in its EHLO or HELO, your E-mail might get blocked by anti-spam software. This is also a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1). Note that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have an A record pointing back to the same server. Note that this one test may use a cached DNS record.

inbound.oysterms.com.netsolmail.net claims to be non-existent host ns-mr10.netsolmail.com: <br /> 220 ns-mr10.netsolmail.com ESMTP <br />
    ERROR: One or more of your mailservers does not accept mail to postmaster@oysterms.com. Mailservers are required (RFC822 6.3, RFC1123 5.2.7, and RFC2821 4.5.1) to accept mail to postmaster.

inbound.oysterms.com.netsolmail.net's postmaster responsebr /> >>> RCPT TOpostmaster@oysterms.com><br /> <<< 550 5.2.1 <postmaster@oysterms.com>... Mailbox disabled for this recipient <br />
    WARNING: One or more of your mailservers does not accept mail to abuse@oysterms.com. Mailservers are expected by RFC2142 to accept mail to abuse.

inbound.oysterms.com.netsolmail.net's abuse responsebr /> >>> RCPT TOabuse@oysterms.com><br /> <<< 550 5.2.1 <abuse@oysterms.com>... Mailbox disabled for this recipient <br />
    WARNING: One or more of your mailservers appears to be an open relay. If so, this means that you are allowing spammers to freely use the mailserver to send out spam! It is possible that your mailserver accepts all E-mail and later bounces it, or accepts the relay attempt and then deletes the E-mail, but this is not common.

WARNING: inbound.oysterms.com.netsolmail.net appears to be an open relay: 250 2.1.5 <Not.abuse.see.www.DNSreport.com.from.IP.58.173.250.236@DNSreport.com>... Recipient ok <br />
    Your domain does not have an SPF record. This means that spammers can easily send out E-mail that looks like it came from your domain, which can make your domain look bad (if the recipient thinks you really sent it), and can cost you money (when people complain to you, rather than the spammer). You may want to add an SPF record ASAP, as 01 Oct 2004 was the target date for domains to have SPF records in place (Hotmail, for example, started checking SPF records on 01 Oct 2004).
    A few errors with your hosts mailservers, might want to copy it to your provider.
    :-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll do that. Much thanks, I really appreciate it.