SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Which symbol when? -- Flash newbie

hello,
    I've just started playing around with flash. When you create a symbol - how do you determine whether it should be a movie clip or a graphic?

thanks
    coiL
    "cradled in the learning curve"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a general rule graphics are static images (ie imported JPGs, PNG's or Vector artwork, fonts etc.) with no animation.

with movie clip's you can create animated objects - also one of there most useful functions is you can drag a group of the same MC's from your Library into your Flash movie and give them individual Instance names (Ctrl+I) then control them separately using Actionscript without increasing the size of your exported movie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chas is right: button for buttons (obviously )graphic for most static elements, movieclip for any others. Also, the movieclip object has numerous actionscript functions which aren't possible (or applicable) to graphic sysmbols.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok thanks for clearing that up
    coiL
    "cradled in the learning curve"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually do not use graphic symbols...I make all my symbols (except for buttons) Movie Clip Symbols.

The reason why I do this is because graphic symbols are pretty useless imho: you can't use clipevents, or you can't target graphic symbols. The only thing you can do with graphic symbols is tweening, and I try to avoid that as much as possible too.

I also don't use a lot of buttons, but I re-use the same 'invisible' button throughout my movie.

For the people who haven't used invisible buttons before: an invisible is a button with only a shape in the 'Hit' state of the button, making it invisible (while remaining clickable). You can place this over any artwork you want to act as a button.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok when you IMPORT a graphic that will be converted to a GRAPHIC. If you going to make a button (mouseOver) stuff like that then you are going to create a BUTTON. If you want to make some animation make a MOVIE CLIP