SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Host myself, or external? I need suggestions.

I am an IT manager at a small company. Currently we host an ASP.net based web application (on an IIS server) that we do most of our business on. It was grown in house and uses our MS SQL server. We are looking at expanding this application within the next few months, and I need it to be "bulletproof", as in almost zero downtime.

The website also references and pulls up scanned documents that we have on a NAS server. Currently it is around 300 gig worth of documents, but expanding around 200 gig a year.

Ultimately, I would like this to be hosted someplace where there is a constant backup of the SQL and website. And someplace I don't have to worry about the hardware, because I am a one man operation and don't have all the needed experience to deal with the web application.

Any Suggestions? And would it be beneficial for me to host the scanned documents onsite, and have a hosted solution reference them back at our HQ? I could put them in a DMZ or something like that.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you have a good budget, my advice is to use a managed dedicated server with daily backups.

i'd recommend a managed dedicated server from theplanet.com. Also ask some decent presale questions before you order, just to be sure that they can offer what you need.
    In2net Network Inc. www.in2net.com : Providing Service Since 1996
    Quick Sales Response - info@in2net.com
    Virtual Private Servers : VPS Hosting from $9.95/mo
    30-Day MoneyBack Guarantee

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you feel like being personally responsible whenever something goes wrong and want to be constantly installing security updates, go external. You probably know what you're doing, but for a similar price you can get someone else to worry about it who has the experience and handles 20 other servers like yours.