User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Image cost pls help

Hello All,

A client want me to add 20 images to his website can someone please tell me what they would charge per image. He doesn't have the image, I will get the images from places like istockphoto etc.

Any reply would be much appreciated.

many thanks in advance

regards

helen
    Colorize Old Black and White Photos Photo Restorations

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... that's an interesting question. I think it really depends on what he wants and how hard it is to find.

Let's say that he wants a picture of business people smiling and working together. You are going to find thousands of them, so it is going to take time to find them.

Also, even if you find something similar to what he wants, you may have to change it, too.

Price also will be affected by the city you live in (UK is not cheap at all) and your skills.

You can:

- Charge by the time it takes to find the photos and change them. (I think this would be the best for you)

or if you are uncertain

- Charge only $$ per photo (including a small benefit for you) and then, if it needs any changes, charge for the time it takes to do those changes

or

- Simply charge $$ per photo, including changes if needed.

I think I would opt for option 2. Charge a 20% more than whatever it costs you, and then charge for the time you spend changing colors and adapting the picture to what he wants, if necessary.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    Hmmm... that's an interesting question. I think it really depends on what he wants and how hard it is to find.

Let's say that he wants a picture of business people smiling and working together. You are going to find thousands of them, so it is going to take time to find them.

Also, even if you find something similar to what he wants, you may have to change it, too.

Price also will be affected by the city you live in (UK is not cheap at all) and your skills.

You can:

- Charge by the time it takes to find the photos and change them. (I think this would be the best for you)

or if you are uncertain

- Charge only $$ per photo (including a small benefit for you) and then, if it needs any changes, charge for the time it takes to do those changes

or

- Simply charge $$ per photo, including changes if needed.

I think I would opt for option 2. Charge a 20% more than whatever it costs you, and then charge for the time you spend changing colors and adapting the picture to what he wants, if necessary.
    Ho Molona,

Thank you very much for your reply it is much appreciated, you've given me very good idea of what to do, sometimes it's very hard to know what is ideal or not. I don't want to charge too much to loose a client but I don't want to short change myself either.

thanks

helen

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Helen,
    I am in London too, and recently had to do a similar thing. I charged a fixed rate price for the work, i.e. both the image sourcing and time spent altering the photos. I said "I will find and prepare 10 photos for you", and gave them a price. And it actually worked out well because they didn't need too many changes. I guess the difficulty with a fixed-rate approach is that if the client is very fussy or wants particular changes, these can become time consuming and eat in to your margin.
    Best of luck,
    chestnut

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chestnutgirl View Post
    Hi Helen,
    I am in London too, and recently had to do a similar thing. I charged a fixed rate price for the work, i.e. both the image sourcing and time spent altering the photos. I said "I will find and prepare 10 photos for you", and gave them a price. And it actually worked out well because they didn't need too many changes. I guess the difficulty with a fixed-rate approach is that if the client is very fussy or wants particular changes, these can become time consuming and eat in to your margin.
    Best of luck,
    chestnut

Hi Chestnut,

Thanks ever so much for your reply it is much appreciated. The client has provided some of the photos and he now wants me to upload it to his yell adverts account instead plus searching for keywords and add them. This client whilst not fussy throws everything on my shoulders which can be a challenge in itself, but to worry i'll shall sort something out.

many thanks

helen