SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have cisconetpro.com domain. received notification from cisco law firm?

Dear All,

I own cisconetpro.com domain name.

I received mail from cisco law firm stating that need to handover the domain name to cisco.

although netpro is not registered.

Mail stating that:

We hope the following information answers your questions, and explains the issues presented by your website.

1. Unfortunately, a disclaimer would not alleviate the trademark concerns presented by your use of the CISCO and NETPRO trademarks and the cisconetpro.com domain.

2. The title and header on your webpage is "CISCO NETPRO," which is unauthorized use of Cisco's CISCO and NETPRO trademarks. With respect to NETPRO, a trademark need not be registered in order to be protectable in the United States. By using the mark NETPRO in connection with its services, Cisco has established trademark rights in the term.

Given Cisco's rights in CISCO and NETPRO, and that your website closely mimics that of Cisco's NETPRO page, Cisco remains concerned that consumers are likely to be confused as to whether your website is associated with or sponsored by Cisco. Accordingly, we must reiterate our prior request that you transfer the domain to Cisco and agree to stop using the CISCO and NETPRO marks.
    Please advice me what to do?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I received a letter like this, I would change the domain name and ask company whether I can redirect used to my new domain for at least a few months?

And use you head next time you registering domain with popular trademarks in the name or at least know what you will do after receiving them - it is definitely obvious that you will get such complains about such domains.
    I'm creating trouble-free Apache, PHP, MySQL installer, WITSuite,
    and use it to setup my development environment.
    Demo, support, contact. Questions?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can i ask for my domain charges and redirecting to other domain?
    Please help me ???

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just reply to this mail and explain that you do not know about this because you do not live in the USA... As for domain charges, i think that this is not possible but you can try. In any case, do not ignore the message and communicate with these guys.
    I'm creating trouble-free Apache, PHP, MySQL installer, WITSuite,
    and use it to setup my development environment.
    Demo, support, contact. Questions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those words are a trademark of Cisco. I would recommend giving away the domains without a fight or you'll end up in legal trouble. In the future, I wouldn't recommend registering domains that are related to large companies.
    Axigy - Shared and Dedicated Web Hosting
    Top Notch Dedicated Servers - 100% Uptime Guarantee
    http://www.axigy.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask them if they will pay basic registration fees and transfer the domain to them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that cisconetpro is not trade mark in any way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have to hand over anything to anyone.

Keep the domain but make sure there are no patents or trademarks on the name.

The law doesn't say you can't register the name - if the name is patented/trademarked/copyrighted then you can't carry on a business with that name in the country that the patents/trademarks are registered.

If they tell you to hand it over tell them to stick it. You can always - optin to disable the domain and use it as an email address or just keep it and ask for a good sum of money. If there is any copyright issues then certainly have a lawyer look into the matter.

There may be money to be made with your domain name. Don't be pushed around!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are still operating www.cisconetpro.com as a "Tech Support Forum for Cisco". It's too late to change the content, or just use it for email, and plead innocent.

If it were me I'd change the domain name to something that doesn't violate their trademarks. Your cisconetpro site is new, PR 0, with little content - you don't lose much by changing the name now instead of building up the site and revenues and losing it later.

Telling a lawyer to "stick it" doesn't make him go away.

I doubt Cisco will pay any money for transfer fees or compensate you in any way for violating their trademark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't ignore them, reply to them calmly and ask for some nominal registration charges to be paid to you so that you can transfer the domain to them.

Act calmly. good luck
    Hymoo.com - Create Revolution - Help Us Spread The Word!
    Latest Wallpapers

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
    Don't ignore them, reply to them calmly and ask for some nominal registration charges to be paid to you so that you can transfer the domain to them.
    While that's arguably reasonable, unfortunately some tend to treat that as a
    "bad faith" intent to "profit" from their mark. It depends on who one's dealing
    with, but I've seen a couple of UDRPs taking the domain because of that.

Just thought the OP ought to be aware of that risk. Of course, only s/he will
    decide that themselves.