SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face exceeding reccommended RAM

hello

I have a dell inspiron and apparently im not supposed to have more than 1GB in each ram slot, but i have just installed a 2GB module in 1 of the slots and it seems to be recognizing it and working okay?

are there any limitations to doing this?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why can you not have more than 2gb in each slot?? Where you've read that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buldozerce View Post
    Why can you not have more than 2gb in each slot?? Where you've read that?
    crucial scanner website

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your computer recognize the RAM? Go to system information and see if it shows up. Often times you can install more than the maximum amount of RAM, but only the limit will be recognized and used by the computer, though the system itself will still work fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry View Post
    Does your computer recognize the RAM? Go to system information and see if it shows up. Often times you can install more than the maximum amount of RAM, but only the limit will be recognized and used by the computer, though the system itself will still work fine.
    Yes you are quite right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry View Post
    it shows up on the system and seems to be working correctly
    i think crucial scanner website got it wrong

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    32bit windows versions can only see a maximum of 3.something GB of RAM
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than not recognise, I think it is more like can only make use of something like 3.8 GB of RAM.

Mine shows 4GB perfectly well with Vista 32-bit, but I have hear the above statement from various sources.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
    32bit windows versions can only see a maximum of 3.something GB of RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by masm50 View Post
    Rather than not recognise, I think it is more like can only make use of something like 3.8 GB of RAM.

Mine shows 4GB perfectly well with Vista 32-bit, but I have hear the above statement from various sources.
    yep 32bit versions do not use more than 3.5gig of your ram so its useless having more than about 3gig on a 32bit OS imo

mine is not more than 4gig, its just that the crucial scanner website scanned my PC and said i can have a maximum of 1Gb in each slot, but i tried a 2Gb module in one slot and it works...only thing is....it has switched to single channel mode because you need to match your ram to get dual channel mode, but a lot of people have said the difference between dual and single is very minor and some have said its just a marketing tactic and makes no difference at all... so im not fussed about that

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masm50 View Post

Right Vista will now show the amount of Physical memory installed, not the amount it can actually use. As you can see in the pic below, Windows reports 4 GB in the System window, but via the task manager it reports the full amount Windows can actually use, in my case around 3GB.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well there you go. I didn't know where to see the actual usage.
    Mines at 3069MB as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are different limitations that you might run into.
    1. Your mainboard only supports modules up to a certain size or a combined total
    for example it might support modules up to 1 gb with a 1.5 gb total limitation so you could have a 1G dimm in either slot but the second slot will only address up to 512M.
    2. Your operating system
    You might see a lot of people talk about 32bit only supporting up to 4G of memory but in reality 32bit can address up to 64G of memory if you have proper PAE support. Dont ask why windows does not have proper pae support.

I have found that many manufactures lie about how much memory a motherboard will support. For example my thinkpad notebook T61p. Lenovo states it can have a maximum of 4G of memory. However with a tool like dmidecode I can read the mainboard information directly and have found that it actually will support up to 8G of memory.
    Add your logo to Pocket Folders.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefLee View Post
    There are different limitations that you might run into.
    1. Your mainboard only supports modules up to a certain size or a combined total
    for example it might support modules up to 1 gb with a 1.5 gb total limitation so you could have a 1G dimm in either slot but the second slot will only address up to 512M.
    2. Your operating system
    You might see a lot of people talk about 32bit only supporting up to 4G of memory but in reality 32bit can address up to 64G of memory if you have proper PAE support. Dont ask why windows does not have proper pae support.
    Microsoft limits it to 4GB for driver capability reasons. I remember reading a blog post awhile back about this and what it came down to was poorly written drivers for so many devices would screw things up.

This page lists the limits for 32-bit versions of Windows and the Server editions do in fact support up to 128GB:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...78(VS.85).aspx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stand corrected. For some reason I thought 32bit could only address up to 64G with PAE I guess its more like 128G with PAE

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the Wikipedia page lists 64GB as the maximum as well, but then Windows proceeds to up to 128GB somehow, I figure if your running that much memory, you can probably hire someone to tell you for sure how it works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha,
    I would think by the time you get past about 8G whatever your running that consumes that much memory is probably a good candidate for 64bit anyway. Well I suppose maybe not if your running a windows terminal server and people are connecting in to use applications. But really how would windows perform with that many users!? I can only imagine having to replace the power switch every several months from all of the reboots!