SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Designer need to provide hosting for multiple clients

I am a front end designer/developer with no server-side expertise. I am probably going to have to provide hosting to my freelance clients very soon. These would be small WP sites with low traffic, but there could be as many as 50 domains being hosted at a time just to begin with.

I need the host provider to do all the tech work and provide support to me, if not to the clients (who will inevitable contact me to deal with problems, which is OK). I am not able to manage/troubleshoot my own server.

I am considering Mosso/Rackspace, but recently I've heard some very negative comments on forums (such as this one) that are concerning me.

Does anyone have a recommendation given my needs and experience level with servers/hosting? I am not looking for a "cheap deal" - I need reliable service and peace of mind.

Thanks!
    Amy

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reseller hosting is what you need, not a VPS or dedicated, and you don't need enterprise-level stuff from Rackspace. They're where you go when you need custom hardware setups, not a plain old shared hosting package.

A reseller hosting account is shared hosting except you can create sub-accounts (with their own control panel access and such) for your clients. The web host still manages the server, provides you with support, etc.

HostGator, which happens to be advertising at the top of the page, is likely the most popular provider of reseller plans right now. I haven't used shared hosting in enough years to make a personal recommendation.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Dan for clarifying the issues of reseller, dedicate, VPS, etc. (and so quickly, too!). I am looking at the HostGator info now. Much more affordable than Mosso. Am open to other suggestions, too.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amy, you also might want to look at a VPS, more performace and full manangement.
    {snip}

Good luck
    Last edited by dklynn; Apr 16, 2009 at 13:54. Reason: Self
    Dewey
    DedicatedNow.com
    Servers from $49.95!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be fine with HostGator. I've had a good experience with them in the past. As Dan said you would require a reseller plan not a VPS. A VPS IMO would be too powerful and not needed for what you are trying to do. Best of Luck!
    Axigy - Shared and Dedicated Web Hosting
    Top Notch Dedicated Servers - 100% Uptime Guarantee
    http://www.axigy.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with a small company there more likely to help you out. Ask if they provide end user support to your reseller customers (its usualy an extra fee but they will more than likely say yes)
    Andrew Anderson
    Sales Manager
    http://www.nerdyhost.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reseller account. With hands on support and good company. If you have al, in one that would not be big problem for you to handle that
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'd recommend hostgator reseller plans in this case.
    In2net Network Inc. www.in2net.com : Providing Service Since 1996
    Quick Sales Response - info@in2net.com
    Virtual Private Servers : VPS Hosting from $9.95/mo
    30-Day MoneyBack Guarantee

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need the host provider to do all the tech work and provide support to me, if not to the clients
    There are some providers that provider end user support. Innohosting, Cartikahosting, Eirca, would be some that come to mind right now.

If you're used to have low lever access to the server for web dev reasons, a fully managed VPS may be something of an alternative to a reseller account. Otherwise, I agree, reseller seems to be the way to go.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree. A big company is going to offer the technical support a 'designer guy' might expect. It might even make more sense to partner with a web developer who also manages the hosting from a web hosting reseller company.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hostgator seems fit. but, may be too costly for a beginner. look around and you'll have many hosts with cheaper, better reseller plans.
    ►ExpertWebHost.NET- Quality, reliable hosting service since 2008
    ►Instant Budget CPanel hosting- 24x7 Support
    ►Litespeed- Softaculous- RVSitebuilder- R1Soft backups
    SEO Hosting- Spread your websites on 10 servers with A Class IPs