SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picas, Centimeters, vs Pixels and Inches?

I am going to be working more in Quark and InDesign. I usually work in Flash, Dreamweaver and Photoshop. As a result, I will be working with Picas and Centimeters rather than Pixes and Inches.

I really don't understand Picas and Centimeters much. What is the benefit of working with these units rather than Pixels and Inches? My guess is they have a more precise way of measuring. How can I educate myself in this area?

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    235 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It really depends on where you are working at and the media. Most of the countries use the same measurment units and you should use the units are adecuate for the place you live in.

As an example, in Spain and most of Europe, we use the International system and we would prefer to design a brochure using cm instead of inches for margins, page sizes, etc, as well as using points to indicate the size of a font instead of cicerots (used in France). But we are talking about print.

If I am designing for the screen, then my margins and "page" sizes should be related to the screen and therefore I would need to use pixels instead, because that's the unit used in this media.

So as you can see, it depends on the job, the country I working in, and the media that I'll be using.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Designer View Post
    I really don't understand Picas and Centimeters much. What is the benefit of working with these units rather than Pixels and Inches?
    A pica is a typographical unit of measurement equal to 12 points, or a sixth of an inch. It may be a useful unit for print design, but you could just as well use points (and multiply the numbers by 12).

Centimetres are better than inches because they are part of the SI international standard. A centimetre is one hundredth of a metre. An inch is 2.54 centimetres.

Inches are mainly restricted to the United States these days, I think, although they are still common in the UK and probably some of the other Commonwealth countries.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane