User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Failsafes For Clients Domains

Hi All,

Generally I take care of all my clients domain names and most of them time their hosting as well, it just seems a lot easier for me and them than me having to explain how to modify their name servers or change DNS entries... But:

I have a client who is asking how they will be able to gain control of their domain name should I be hit by a bus or eaten by an angry shark, short of having a sealed letter with my account details held by a solicitor and opened at the time of my death, what would the best safeguards be?

The domains already have the clients set as the Registrant, and me for Administrative, Technical, and Billing.

Thanks in advance,

RandomCake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the domain names belong to you that means that your customer will not be able to do with them whatever they want without your permission.

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    RC,

Some registrars (the one I use for my New Zealand domains) allows me to register to my account with the client as the owner (problem solved). My other domains are registered to my account but MUST be in my name as a condition of being in my account (problem). What do to? Provide each with a letter saying that you are holding THEIR domain in your account and had to register THEIR domain in your name but, at their request, you will transfer the domain to them at any time they like. That should satisfy both the client AND the registrar - if not, the client can do the work themselves to maintain their own domain.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    If the domain names belong to you that means that your customer will not be able to do with them whatever they want without your permission.
    Belonging to me and being linked to my domain name control panel are not the same thing.

A domain name belongs to the 'Registrant', I know there are formal and drawn out processes for the registrant to take control of a domain name, but there must be a simpler way.

Is there perhaps a registrar which allows one account to be the registrant, and another account to be the technical, administrative and billing contact? And thus the registrant dictates who is able to modify the settings for the domain?

RandomCake