SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool VPN - Vulnerability?

I built a website that is hosted on a competitors server. In order to get to the administration area of this site I am required to fire up "Internet Connect" on my OS X and connect via VPN.

I don't know anything about VPN and am wondering - while I'm connected am I vulnerable at all to snooping or malicious activity from the competing company.

I handle ongoing management and editorial duties for this client so I am connected for a good part of my workday. While I'm connected to their VPN can they see what other sites I'm going to or anything like that? Main concern is I don't want them grabbing my email and passwords.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VPN = Virtual Private Network, i.e. the connection is encrypted (in most cases anyways).
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    VPN = Virtual Private Network, i.e. the connection is encrypted.
    It's gotta get unencrypted at some point, and that point is on the other end of the line; if he requests a webpage over the VPN and is tunneling all his net traffic through it, somewhere on their side it's being decrypted and turned into a plaintext HTTP request. I really don't know what I'm talking about though

SitePoint Zealot internetSurfer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check settings on both ends.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe--really depends on how your traffic is routing. Do a tracert to a public site without the VPN enabled then with the VPN enabled and see if it changes.

Note that even if your traffic is routing through the company, it still would require a fair amount of effort and know how to extract usable information from the data stream.