Thread: Open source CMS

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Open source CMS

Hi,

Is there an open source CMS that allows a designer/ developer to control the HTML on the site? At the moment I am working on a cms that doesn't allow me control the HTML, which is also vastly overblown and complicated; it's a nightmare to support and maintain and I'd like to recommend we move to something that allows me to control things much better.

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    What do you mean? Templates? I guess most OS CMS use templates nowadays. Joomla and Wordpress, for example.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guido2004 View Post
    What do you mean? Templates? I guess most OS CMS use templates nowadays. Joomla and Wordpress, for example.
    Perhaps I should explain the situation in more detail. The system I am currently using has a .aspx "template" for the basic page outline structure; however users and designers can then add elements such as boxes, columns, etc via a "drag and drop" interface within the browser. I am not able to control any of the HTML in these elements. Any design that has a bit of complexity about it requires the designer to add multiple divs to the page to represent columns and boxes. Sometimes it can require the addition of many columns (divs) to acheive an end result that could have been acheived with much fewer, had I been building the site in Dreamweaver, for example. None of these divs can be identified by id's. They are all named with classes. Therefore to style some boxes it would be neccessary to do this:-
    Code:
    .column1 .column2 .column3 .box {
    background-color: #fff;
    border: 1px solid black;
    }
    As you can imagine, the result of this is massive page weight and hideous complexity in css and HTML when it comes to debugging browser issues. (Without firebug I would have had a nervous breakdown by now).

As a content editor, the system we have has limitations with its own functionality, and as a developer, it is seriously limited in terms of the ability to extend it. As a designer, it is a difficult creature to tame, and I would like to recommend to my employers that we move to a system that makes it easier to create first class designs, by allowing the level of control over HTML that I would get with Dreamweaver, or at least close to it. However, I am not sure if there is any such system. I'd like us to look at open source though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drupal works great Im sure joomla is probably the same. You can use a free drupal template or pay for one and mess with the css as you like globally or per page.

SitePoint Guru silver trophy JamesColin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's true that Drupal using PHPTemplate is quite easy (not the easiest though) to work with.
    Do you really need traffic? Where to? What for?
    If you really do need traffic then stop messing around!
    Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer :
    200,000+ UV / Month

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
    Hi,

Is there an open source CMS that allows a designer/ developer to control the HTML on the site? At the moment I am working on a cms that doesn't allow me control the HTML, which is also vastly overblown and complicated; it's a nightmare to support and maintain and I'd like to recommend we move to something that allows me to control things much better.
    A nice and simple Opensource CMS modx http://modxcms.com/ Pretty easy to setup and install your own templates. Allows you to Keep content separate from the CSS/HTML site template. I think you'll love for its simpleness and ease of use.
    Putting the web to work for You.
    http://www.ebbswebs.com/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joomla