SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need recommendation about hosting solution

Hi,

I have a website hosted in a reseller account I own. For one of my websites I am receiving 1600 unique visits per day. It is a wordpress installation.

I noticed the major quantity of visits occurs at noon mostly. I use Google Analytics but recently I started to look Awstats again and I noticed a lot of 503 Server Busy errors.

I am wondering if this may be caused by the hosting solution I actually own, and of course I want to avoid this problem. Also, I am feeling I cannot increment the unique visits due to this 503 Server Busy because the Google Analytics reports bounce from 1400 to 1600 each week.

What solution do you recommend me that I can scale if needed in the future?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might be time to upgrade to a VPS and or small Dedi?

There are lots of specials out there. Let us know how we can help.

Good luck,
    Dewey
    DedicatedNow.com
    Servers from $49.95!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I thought in a VPS solution first.

Do you think should I go with a small VPS configuration first? and then grow?

I have a reseller account that works ok for now, but I am feeling that it do not support more than 1600 users per day for one of my websites.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by dccubed View Post
    Might be time to upgrade to a VPS and or small Dedi?

There are lots of specials out there. Let us know how we can help.

Good luck,

SitePoint Enthusiast WindowsHosting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

You should examine your traffic and check if the most visits are not generated by Search Engines Robots. If this is the case you could reduced their visits by Robots.txt file.

You will need more CPU resources in the future, so I agree that you should look for VPS or Dedicated Solution.

Regards
    Find Free ASP.NET hosting information and resources at http://www.windowshostingasp.net.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not necessary you need a vps. There are companies which are offering shared hosting of high resources. As an example I can name routhost.com which is offering very large hosting plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    Not necessary you need a vps. There are companies which are offering shared hosting of high resources. As an example I can name routhost.com which is offering very large hosting plan.
    Big space + transfer doesn't guarantee big system resources. In fact, mostly, it will have less system resources, and it can NOT afford what the OP needs.

Julian: how many visitors/requests do you have at the same time? Can you share your current hosting vendor, so we can check how it's working?

Thanks.
    Clustered CloudLinux Hosting | WordPress Hosting |
    Advanced Antispam | Managed Xen VPS
    in US West coast and Asia-Pacific datacenters
    Contact us now on Twitter @vietnap

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gate2vn View Post
    Big space + transfer doesn't guarantee big system resources. In fact, mostly, it will have less system resources, and it can NOT afford what the OP needs.

Julian: how many visitors/requests do you have at the same time? Can you share your current hosting vendor, so we can check how it's working?

Thanks.
    i agree, big space and bandwidth doesn't mean big share of cpu and RAM. VPS might be more costly, but you'll be freeing yourself of the resource problems associated with shared hosts who oversell their servers. If you can and willing to set up your own server, you can save on some costs by going for an unmanaged VPS solution.
    In2net Network Inc. www.in2net.com : Providing Service Since 1996
    Quick Sales Response - info@in2net.com
    Virtual Private Servers : VPS Hosting from $9.95/mo
    30-Day MoneyBack Guarantee

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the price of an entry level managed VPS (and even significantly lower) there's great reseller hosting to be had. No, I don't think that the only move forward would be to get a VPS.

A VPS can be a rather constricted place, especially if you're trying to keep costs low.

I think that the first thing to do would be to discuss the situation with the current host. See what they have to say and what they can do about this.

It is a wordpress installation.
    Make sure you use one of the cache plugins. They can reduce server resources demand significantly.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the responses.

I have A2 Hosting and I am happy so far with their services. For Wordpress I also use Cache plugins that I understand will improve the performance a lot by caching the page results.

However I want keep in mind scalability and I was mainly concerned about the 503 Server Busy that I feel start appearing once I got a high quantity of visits that -I suppose- could not be handled properly with the reseller account.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    At the price of an entry level managed VPS (and even significantly lower) there's great reseller hosting to be had. No, I don't think that the only move forward would be to get a VPS.

A VPS can be a rather constricted place, especially if you're trying to keep costs low.

I think that the first thing to do would be to discuss the situation with the current host. See what they have to say and what they can do about this.

Make sure you use one of the cache plugins. They can reduce server resources demand significantly.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting a VPS this early is just a waste of money.
    My website (teraom.com) receives far more traffic than the numbers stated and I have over 100 domains on the same server. My servers are not sweating yet..

Since you are using wordpress, you can use a nice plugin like "wp super cache", which manages the db connections efficiently by transforming the php content to html. This plugin requires wp 2.6 or higher. This also makes your site load faster.

You might also want to see if you have another plugin installed in the blog, which is taking up a lot of space and bandwidth. you can do this with the help of your server logs.

Blogs with over 100 db connections at the same time may demand VPS, and you have time to reach there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wp super cache plugin might be a big help for your wordpress website. Or your host doesn't do their job properly

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question is, is the server really too busy, because it doesn't sound like it. It's likely that the host has a soft limit, either for the whole server (I rather doubt it) or for each account, that puts a cap to say the number of simultaneous connections/processes etc. you may have to your sites. Get this cleared up with the host. If they do this, see if they can up the limit. Ultimately, you can also try another host, as not all of them would be equally restrictive.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums