SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JavaScript changing table colours

hey, this post is more complicated then it sounds... how would i go about changing the background of a row in a table that has colums when a check box is clicked...i can change the colour of a single column but how can i change all the columns in a row? ive heard about this "get prarentnode" thing but i dont know how to use it =(

thanks - Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just like you would change the colour of the column, but apply the colour change to the <TR> not <TD>, to affect the entire row.
    Spartan
    ---------------------
    It's like our sergeant told us before one trip into the jungle. Men! Fifty of you are leaving on a mission. Twenty-five of you ain't coming back.
    -Mr.Payne

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i can understand that but how would i go about changing the style of the row with a checkbox event?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    give the <tr> a name <tr name=thisTR id=thisTR> then in the onclick event of the checkbox you put your thisTR.style.background=green or what ever.

like so....
    Code:
    <table border=1 width=100%>
    <tr name=thisTR id=thisTR>
    	<td>x</td>
    	<td>x</td>
    	<td>x</td>
    	<td><input type=checkbox onclick="javascript:thisTR.style.background='blue'"></td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    and bobs your uncle
    Spartan
    ---------------------
    It's like our sergeant told us before one trip into the jungle. Men! Fifty of you are leaving on a mission. Twenty-five of you ain't coming back.
    -Mr.Payne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oeps. I was just typing, not thinking...

um.... that will make the colour change, but it won't change back to the original colour when you click on it again.

so you'll have to write a little function... well depends on what exactly you want to do.

you could, for example do this
    <input type=checkbox onfocusout="javascript:tr1.style.background='white'" onfocusin="javascript:tr1.style.background='blue'">

but I'm guessing you want the colour change to happen when the checkbox is checked and unchecked... right?

then you'll need a function with a if statement to check if the checkbox is on or off and then take apropriate actions.

hope that helps
    Spartan
    ---------------------
    -Mr.Payne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please use the Javascript forum for Javascript questions. You can find it under "Web Page Design".
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the help mate but even that doesnt work

<input type="checkbox" name="check" value='<%=s("ID")%>' onfocusout="javascript:thisTR.style.backgroundColor='#B7C1CE'">

is what i have for my checkbox, gave it a name relivant to its place in a database, but when i click on it it doesnt highlight it still... so such luck by the by i did give my <tr> tag a name n id.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm this is .... odd.... i managed to get your script working when the checkbox didnt have any asp in the <input tag> but with asp in it, it doesnt want to know...exactly the same script used for both checkboxes..one with asp one without... any ideas?