SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I use a VPS server?

I don't know much about hosting related stuff. I know basic things like how to login to cpanel, where to go to upload files, how to create databases, how to make email accounts and little stuff like that.

But I want to use VPS now and I have heard that VPS servers are different in use than our shared hosting servers. The security of the server is in our own hands and the hosting company will not do anything to secure our data as they do with shared hostings.

I don't know how to secure my server, how to reboot it...etc I just want a VPS and want to use it as I use my shared hosting server, just want to login, upload files...etc, nothing more complicated.

Is it possible?

Or people like me can't use VPS unless they have good knowledge of servers?

I hope you understand me.

Edit: I can pay "Money" for VPS or even for Dedicated servers, but the problem is that I don't know how to run them

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have two options:

1) Get a bigger shared hosting package. Reseller hosting is shared hosting that allows separate cPanel accounts and quotas for each subuser. That may work for you.

2) Get a fully managed VPS or server. This is where you still get the root access and control of a server, but the hosting company still does some of the work for you, like keeping software up to date. But this is tricky. The lower the price is, the less "management" is probably being done for you, which could leave you in a bad spot if the host isn't doing things you think they are. Read exactly what "managed" means at each company you compare, ask questions, and don't expect much unless the price is high enough to reflect the extra work they're dedicating to your account.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I don't want reseller account. I want a VPS.

And yes, I will pay "more" to be secure and in safe hands.

Which VPS company you recommend me? Wirdtree.com is good? Do they do "full" management with VPS?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see

You know I got disappoint from Namecheap today, because after using their hosting I came to know that they allow only those email addresses to use which exists on their server and allows only 200 emails per hour. I have a webmaster forum and that will definitely send more than 200 emails per hour to customers (PM notifications, freindship request notification, Topic reply notifications...etc) and is not good for my business as well because if 200 emails quota is over I will not get any email from clients

That's why I want to buy a VPS, Yes it will cost me more than shared hosting but at least I will not face any kind of restrictions.

Please recommend me a "good" VPS company. Me too searching for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    If you go for a VPS with Virtuozzo for example, it comes with web based panel that offers you the possibility to manage the VPS services in a user friendly environment - the rest of the job would be to only manage your websites using the hosting panel.

Of course, having hosting panel will up a little the price of the VPS but still - it would be a decent and stable start for your business.

Good Luck!
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wirdtree.com is good?
    You can try a search over at webhostingtalk.com if there's not enough feedback on them here. As far as I've read, they're one of the more well reputed managed VPS providers out there. I do agree that a VPS looks like a fair bet for you at this point.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jahangir View Post
    I see

You know I got disappoint from Namecheap today, because after using their hosting I came to know that they allow only those email addresses to use which exists on their server and allows only 200 emails per hour. I have a webmaster forum and that will definitely send more than 200 emails per hour to customers (PM notifications, freindship request notification, Topic reply notifications...etc) and is not good for my business as well because if 200 emails quota is over I will not get any email from clients

That's why I want to buy a VPS, Yes it will cost me more than shared hosting but at least I will not face any kind of restrictions.

Please recommend me a "good" VPS company. Me too searching for it.
    Make sure you are getting a vps with cpanel/whm, or plesk installed. Both panels are easy to use, with it you can ftp files, create accounts for multiple domains. Also try to pick a well-established provider, search against various web hosting forums, such as sitepoint and wht to see if you can find any good reviews about them. good luck
    Last edited by andypnt; Apr 13, 2009 at 17:21.
    In2net Network Inc. www.in2net.com : Providing Service Since 1996
    Quick Sales Response - info@in2net.com
    Virtual Private Servers : VPS Hosting from $9.95/mo
    30-Day MoneyBack Guarantee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only cPanel or Plesk, DA is highly recommended with its stability It's using less system resources than cPanel too, and very easy to use.

Make sure you are getting a vps with cpanel/whm, or plesk installed.
    Clustered CloudLinux Hosting | WordPress Hosting |
    Advanced Antispam | Managed Xen VPS
    in US West coast and Asia-Pacific datacenters
    Contact us now on Twitter @vietnap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that you need to have a piece of paper and write down what you need in regards of the space and bandwidth. Then do the search according that and then doe the review search for the taken companies. Once you have short list of the companies offering managed solution start getting in touch with them and have small presales conversation. Only do-it-yourself research will drive the best option for you at the present moment.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen many good reviews about wiredtree.com. Go with them if you don't have time to learn and can afford them.
    ►ExpertWebHost.NET- Quality, reliable hosting service since 2008
    ►Instant Budget CPanel hosting- 24x7 Support
    ►Litespeed- Softaculous- RVSitebuilder- R1Soft backups
    SEO Hosting- Spread your websites on 10 servers with A Class IPs