User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Netscape 7 PR 1 out

As predicted by the great Smarky a few days ago PR 1 of Netscape 7 is out

It features an intergrated Instant messenger that supports AIM(now with buddy icons, file transfer) and ICQ support.

Browsing with tabs and complete l33tness.

I wasn't sure where to post this, Computer helpdesk is for computer problems and this isin't one and the software forums are for web dev software and this is a browser so i stuck it here, sorry if it's the wrong place.

Netscape ownz yall! :P
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a link, I checked the netscape homepage and couldnt find any mention of it anywhere?

Cheers

Glen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by iTec
    Edit:

Doh!
    /me slaps iTec around a bit with a smelly old trout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might download and try this.
    I've hated netscape in the past and now mostly use IE and Konquerer
    In a world where the human mind
    can be programmed like a computer,
    at what point does the human soul end
    and the cybernetic machinery begin?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to wait until it becomes stable and then try it for a day... Netscape Beta's always screw up my computer.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Mozilla line has actually reached a state of top stability. I haven't encountered a crash in two months, and before that crash I hadn't had one for a real while...
    (As opposed to IE's quite frequent crashes if you consider how few times I have to use it.)

YMMV

--
    Though for webdevelopers, I would strongly advise using Mozilla: it's always up to date, lighter, totally opensource...

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Netscape

Hehe,

i don´t care whether it´s stable or not, i had Netscape !

/me will never install a Netscape browser again....the old versions cost me more nerves than sites i could access with it
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

Alt+F4= User Control ;-) rabmurdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mozzilla crashed for me on this site last night when I tried to open two tabs at the same time

Netscape keeps crashing and trying to send info back to netscape (how can it crash but still be 'active' enough to want to send info on a crash)
    I've only been using it for a week and it's due for the chop already!

IE 5.5 hasn't crashed on me since I got the service pack for it, and that was several months ago (but it's still a boring dull browser!)

Opera is a star in my eyes
    "If something is too hard,give it up. The moral my boy is too never try anything"
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is you can't have Mozilla and the bloated Netscape installed at the same time. Seeing as how I already have Mozilla 1.0 RC2 that already has everything Netscape has, I don't see the point in getting Netscape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by rabmurdy

Opera is a star in my eyes
    /me nods: at my uni you can choose between the following two browsers: Opera 6 or Netscape 4.76 (both on linux)....

And guess what: Netscape is the only prog i know that crashes all the time, and we´re talking about a system running linux, so it can´t be the OS really

That´s why i´m using Opera at Uni, although you gotta say that some sites look aweful in it.....

That´s why i use IE6 at home....best browser around - bottom line !
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Point well made. Thing is there is at least 2 different ways this can be argued:

1. From a web users point of view, stabilty ect ect. IE and Opera great for this IMO.

2. From a coders point of view and with reference to standards. NS 6.2 rocks here IMO.

Just depends which way you are viewing it. Yes IE is good, but NS follows standards more closely, and if we dont reach an amicable agreement regarding standards then the browser wars will continue.

Ingoal, I understand your views here as you are more on the hardware side of things and web coding standards do not apply there. But Netscape beats IE hands down here. (2 cents).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo G. pickup the phone

Originally posted by glenplake
    Ingoal, I understand your views here as you are more on the hardware side of things and web coding standards do not apply there. But Netscape beats IE hands down here. (2 cents).

Hehe, i heard that before from a mate at uni (he´s into webdevelopment)....prolly true then...
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =

<C²: web standards /> cybercodeur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preview Release 1 of Netscape 7.0

Netscape 7 !

Are Netscape trying to piss off developers or something? This is just a complete and utter joke. How on earth can they justify a full version number? Have they discovered users hated NS6, so this is a ploy to get them to try it again?

I think we probably need to chill out a bit... Likely all they wanted to do was sync up the version numbers with their AOL client software. Besides that, if it will get people to move off the alpha quality NS6 releases that never should have gone public, all the better.

At least they didn't switch to some lame lettered version scheme. The last thing we need is a malfunctionning Netscape MX trend...

Remembering how bad PR 1 of NS 6.0 was, I won't even touch it with a gas mask wielding a 10 foot pole until it's anywhere near version 7.1 official release.
    Denis Boudreau <C²/> - Web Standards & Accessibility
    [+] ICQ number: 115649885 || Email: denis@cybercodeur.net
    [+] Daily Weblog on Web standards and accessibility : CYBERcodeur.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Netscape

I don't get why people keep bagging Netscape Navigator 6. For one thing it has a clean/fresh GUI and it renders web pages quite nicely. What more could you ask for

The one major difference I found with Navigator 6 as opposed to IE 6 is the way it renders web pages. It seems to me that IE does not pre-process javascript function and is thus able to display the page more speedily were on the other hand Netscape does pre-processes them and is initially slower to render those pages but when those functions are called it is able to execute them more expeditiously.

Also IE encourages sloppy coding . For example you can forget to close a table and IE will still render it, but Netscape won't.
    Thomas Oeser - Blueprint Software
    Web Scripting Editor v 5.2 One cool Web editing tool.
    3dcomputergraphics.com Coming Soon!

<C²: web standards /> cybercodeur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Netscape

Originally posted by ThomasAesir
    I don't get why people keep bagging Netscape Navigator 6. For one thing it has a clean/fresh GUI and it renders web pages quite nicely. What more could you ask for
    Performance... and stability

Seriously, I agree that Netscape has come a long way, but there is still so much to achieve. The example of the table is a good example of Netscape's effort into cleaner code, but it is also their downfall... So many other things that are done irreprochably in (x)HTML never seem to come exactly as intended with NS6 (we won't talk about NS4)...

I code 100% standards compliant and I know Netscape doesn't always deliver their end of the bargain. But rendering in NS also always comes out pretty much okay most of the time (if coded properly)... it's just not as performant.

I'll be thge first to promote NS 7.0 once it's proven its worth. Hell I've done it for NS 6.2.2 for the past 6 months, even though it's not perfect. IE 6.0 is not perfect either, but at least, most of its flaws are not related to standards support.
    Denis Boudreau <C²/> - Web Standards & Accessibility
    [+] ICQ number: 115649885 || Email: denis@cybercodeur.net
    [+] Daily Weblog on Web standards and accessibility : CYBERcodeur.net

Blissed off
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'll just stick with Mozilla since it doesn't have all the crap added to it that Netscape shoehorns in...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, this is a silly thing to do by the people at AOL/Netscape.. do you know why? This should be NS 6.5 and not 7.

Oh the clever world of marketing.. Microsoft does it.. AOL does it.. and Nescape does it as well. They think if a browser has the heralded 6.0 or 7.0 release, people will flock to it because it has a higher number than the competitor. Its silly actually.. the Netscape team should have saved their 7.0 release for a big revamp of the engine. Ya know.. Mozilla 1.5 or 2.0 or something.

All in all, it may be Netscape 7.0.. but its just basically Netscape 6 with the same skins, almost same rendering engine and some extra AOL junk thrown in.

Personally, I'll stick with Mozilla

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The version numbering is prefectly justified.
    From Netscape 6.2.3 to Netscape 7.0 there has been almost a year of code fixing and additions, not to mention new features additions.

Can you say IE 5.5 -> 6.0 was justified, when basically the IE codebase never changed much since IE 4.0 (1997) ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Netscape 7.0 PR 1 for three days now and it has not crashed or given me ANY problems otherwise at all. It looks fairly stable to me; using it right this minute as a matter o' fact.

-Colin
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netscape 7.0 is fast .. very fast. It displays favicons , I am impressed, they stripped all the crap that came default (media bar to the left, etc) I am impressed. THe IM has a new look and new feel( reminds me of the new "MX" layout of Macromedia)

It has a few bugs, if they fix the bugs, I will gladly switch over.

Chuck
    "Happiness doesn't find you, you find happiness" -- Unknown
    www.chuckknows.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames
    The problem is you can't have Mozilla and the bloated Netscape installed at the same time. Seeing as how I already have Mozilla 1.0 RC2 that already has everything Netscape has, I don't see the point in getting Netscape.

thats because atleast in Win2k and XP Netscape 7.0 and Mozilla use the same folder for the cache. C:\Docu...\profile\appication data\mozilla. I am sure this will be fixed in the final release.

According to Mozilla.org, Netscape 7.0 is just the comerical release of Mozilla 1.0 . I suspect that AOL passed mozilla some money to use the code, even tho it's open source.

Chuck
    "Happiness doesn't find you, you find happiness" -- Unknown
    www.chuckknows.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Netscape

Originally posted by ThomasAesir
    Also IE encourages sloppy coding . For example you can forget to close a table and IE will still render it, but Netscape won't.
    Did you know that there isn't an HTML specification around that requires closing tags for TABLES, TD, TR, or many other tags that Netscape requires you to close?

They are closed by inference according to the HTML script unless you need to hard close them for some reason. They operate the same way that the Paragraph tag does.

It isn't until XHTML 1.0, that these tags are required to be closed properly all the time.

So who is really causing the problems here? Netscape with its improper enforcement of the standards or IE for following those standards?
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Chuckie

According to Mozilla.org, Netscape 7.0 is just the comerical release of Mozilla 1.0 . I suspect that AOL passed mozilla some money to use the code, even tho it's open source.
    AOL owns Mozilla which is funded in full by Netscape Communications. Netscape Communications is a wholly owned subsidiary of AOL/Time Warner.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------