SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dual boot OS for longer battery life

I'm doing quite a bit of travelling at the moment, so have been watching films on my laptop on the train.
    I know that spinning a DVD drive uses plenty of battery power, so have ripped the films to my HDD to avoid that.

Now I know Vista is a usage hog and I was wondering that if I partition my HDD and dual boot another OS, is there a lightweight one that would save some more juice to keep the battery running for longer. Maybe Ubuntu?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you configure the power options in Vista correctly you will get a lot more power out of your battery then Ubuntu. From first hand experience, I've gotten more power out of my battery using Vista then XP and Ubuntu combined, while watching a DVD (drive) on full bright and full resolution (1920x1200).

Normally by default Vista will turn off everything it doesn't need while on battery, and limit HDD access to those applications that need to be ran. That means, no Search indexing, no defraging, limited SuperFetch operations, etc.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd look at turning off/down the other power-sappers (screen brightness, wifi/bluetooth etc.) in your hardware before loading another OS just to watch movies. Or get an iPod/other PMP if you're already ripping DVDs and want really long battery life.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info guys. It seems I will be staying with Vista and just playing a bit more with the settings. I didn't know it switched off all indexing etc when on battery. Clever.

(I find the screens of PMPs a bit small for watching anything more involved than vidcasts I'm afraid).

SitePoint Zealot internetSurfer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Handy freeware utility for tweaking Vista:

Vista Services Optimizer
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/S...ptimizer.shtml

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Install Ubuntu or XP, and turn off any unneeded programs and effects, sounds.