SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

disadvantages of being freelance

In Europe, the perceived disadvantages of being freelance have led the European Union to research the area, producing draft papers that would, if enforced, make it illegal for companies or organisations to employ freelances direct, unless the freelancer was entitled to benefits such as pension contributions and holiday pay. In the UK, where the terms of integration in to the EU have and are being hotly debated, this would lead to a significant reshaping of the way freelance work is dealt with and have a major impact on industry; employers would be required either to give freelances the contractual rights of employees, or employ only freelancers already being employed by agencies or other organisations granting them these rights. However, the White Papers that recommend such moves have not yet been adopted in the EU, and the potential impact on UK employment laws is being opposed by key UK organisations lobbying the government to negotiate over the acceptance of EU legislation in such areas

What are your opinions about the topic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think that goes completely against the definition of freelance.

Princeton defines freelancer as

working for yourself
    work independently and on temporary contracts rather than for a long-term employer
    freelancer: a writer or artist who sells services to different employers without a long-term contract with any of them
    Now, usually in the US you are not entitled to full benefits until you have been working for the company for certain time. I think it would affect freelancers perception if companies have to give them benefits.

If the government is so worried about it, then they should require freelancers to be considered as legal entities, and make sure that they give themselves the benefits. Then present a card or some sort of document to potential clients to ensure that they comply with the law, and give a fine to people, and companies that hire such people.

It is going to be interesting to see what the government actually does.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow,

First the US states are trying to tax companies with affiliates in their states. Bye bye american affiliate industry. Don't worry though, though of us in Canada will be happy to pick up the slack as the competition decreases.

Now the EU is looking at significantly raising the cost of doing business with freelancers in the EU when it's already cheaper to outsource to places like India. Bye bye EU web freelancers.

Canada just keeps looking better and better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, India keeps looking better and better, even though I have to agree that it somehow bothers me when I call customer service and I cannot understand a word of what they are telling me.

I don't think the EU will "kill" their freelancers. It is like shooting themselves on the right foot (economy wise). They would probably have some kind of regulation but they will somehow protect them.

Now is this a joke? I did a google news search and couldnt find anything about this.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The EU always ends up poking their noses into something they feel they must be involved with. I am a freelancer and the only genuine disadvantage I worry about is whether I will be able to find enough monetary contracts to be able to live off as a pay check is not a guaranteed thing for freelancers... so why is the EU bothered with holiday pay or French benefits (no pun intended) when clearly for freelancers there are much more important things at stake? After all we do get to choose our own hours (and in that how much holiday time - free of contracts we choose to take).

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is bonkers-raving-madness! What do they propose replaces the system when they are done trashing it?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I would say is the risk in their jobs. When you are a freelancer you need to take care of stuffs by yourself. But on the other hand you may consider yourself as a free bird doing stuffs that pleases you and not your boss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, in my opinion, most people think that freelancers are lazy and not well-trained.

But, the truth is, it's really depends on the person itself. I mean, there are freelancers that can match the skills and talent of a well-trained professional.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I agree with you. You are right, they work on the filed they are really in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    being a freelancer like in any other country don't have any benefit like insurance or medicare something like that. there is also a risk that your client or boss may not pay because you don't have face to face talk, especially when he is not satisfied with your work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Itís obvious that the positive side of any aspect of life has more audience that the negative side. This blogs live from the incomes coming from that audience, but i donít think itís a good philosophy to ignore itÖ letís be realist, being a freelance worker has a lot of advantages, but also a lot of inconvenient.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $$$

SitePoint Enthusiast WickedGoddess's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that would be the case, what does the word Free mean now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The biggest disadvantage in America is that your not eligible for unemployment.