SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want to discontinue site and move its content to another existing site?

I made a site recently which has quite a bit of content, but I would prefer to move the content to a similar site that is much older. Since the two sites are related, there won't be any probelms in terms of relevancy in contnet. I know the search engines will treat the content as duplicates, but what I am going to do is after moving the contnet from the new site to the old, discontinue the new site i.e. scrap the domain so no site would exist.

Would the search engines eventually figure this out? If so, how long would it take so the content from the new site to the old site would be treated as original.

Would I start ranking the content on the old site better than new domain (which I am going to scrap)?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its gonna take some time to get the water cleared. Scrapping the new domain would not solve the duplicate problem really. As long as search engines have those pages from the discarded site indexed you have the risk of duplicate content.

I don't trust in duplicate content penalty theory really. There is only more credit and less credit. For having content moved to the new site you just would have less credit and lower rankings initially. As you have the discarded domain pages deindexed you may start seeing better rankings.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will domain name forwarding help Search Engine to figure this out?
    After the old site is up, you could forward the new URL to the old domain.