SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Can't Connect to MySQL - Different Clients?

I'm having a problem connecting to MySQL within PHP on a client's existing hosting account. I get the message "Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client in".

When I connect to MySQL via the MySQL client (there is no phpMyAdmin), it says that the version is "5.0.51b Source distribution". But when I look at phpinfo() it says "3.23.49". Which seems to imply that php is using a different client. Correct?

If that's so, then is there a way I can get around it? Or is it something the hosting company will need to do? (It's not a very large company and most of the people I've connected with are less technical than I am.)

thanks!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your PHP is using PHP3. Your MYSQL is using 5. This sounds (to me) like a problem the hosting company needs to fix. They need to upgrade their PHP to a higher version

Twitter: @AnthonySterling silver trophy AnthonySterling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP 3??

Time for an upgrade me thinks.
    @AnthonySterling: I'm a PHP developer, a consultant for oopnorth.com and the organiser of @phpne, a PHP User Group covering the North-East of England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phpinfo *says* the php version is 4.4.8. Could that still be an issue?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your on PHP 4.4 now then I don't think you will have an issue now. However PHP5 is well under way and PHP6 is coming sooner and sooner. I strongly recommend getting PHP6 when it comes out so you are good for a long time and can benefit from all the new features.

Twitter: @AnthonySterling silver trophy AnthonySterling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you get the same issue using mysql_* functions as opposed to mysqli_* functions?
    @AnthonySterling: I'm a PHP developer, a consultant for oopnorth.com and the organiser of @phpne, a PHP User Group covering the North-East of England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a2K View Post
    If your on PHP 4.4 now then I don't think you will have an issue now. However PHP5 is well under way and PHP6 is coming sooner and sooner. I strongly recommend getting PHP6 when it comes out so you are good for a long time and can benefit from all the new features.
    Well, the server is on php 4.4.8 and I am having the connection problem.

Upgrading this server really isn't an option as it belongs to the hosting company.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try silverbullet's idea.. Also I would recommend switching to a company that keeps up_to_date on the languages/technologies latest versions. I personally prefer HostGator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds to me like PHP is using the wrong dll file. I think that's the same error that I was getting when I upgraded MySQL on my testing environment. If that's the case, that's an error that your host will have to deal with. Hopefully they have someone who's a techy there who can deal with that.