User Tag List

Thread: How Long?

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How Long?

My main computer just died on me (various causes) but I was wondering how long it takes you guys to get a fresh computer (base format install) to running the way you would like it with all software working!

For me personally It took 15 hours to get Windows (Format + SP's + Drivers), Software and all my personal files installed and exactly how I want them

Just thought I would pass this open to see how other people go about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being partly a wise a**, I would say it depends on how much of the software is Microsoft. Compare how much longer it takes to update IE to other browsers.

I recently upgraded my monitor from CRT to widescreen, and spent about a half hour re-doing my desktop theme to take advantage of the extra real estate and deliver an appearance I like.
    -Brad

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it takes less then 40 minutes to format and install Windows Vista, even less with Windows 7 now. I use a thumbdrive instead of a CD (With Vista and above you can install from USB while XP requires more work). After I get the files from the ISO copied over to the thumbdrive, I'll run vlite and setup unattended install so then all I have to do is configure the HDDs.

I got all my stuff on an external HDD so most of my files stay there, install drivers, windows update, base applications that I use daily. 1 1/2 hr to 2 hours depending how fast I want to go.

I reinstall about every 30 days or so, a lot of practice.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never end up doing it in a straight run--too much going on, and I always have an alternate device to use. Real kicker for me is that I need to run a few of the longest installs known to modern man for common software. These installs, in no particular order are:

a) Adobe Creative Suite
    b) Visual Studio 2005
    c) Visual Studio 2008

In linear time, with patching and such, you can easily lose a whole work day watching blue bars for those guys. Record install time was 6.5 hours for VS 2005, but that was on a VM on a slow machine with slow disks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was also thinking about Adobe CS3 and Visual Studio - they indeed are not quick installs! I think CS3 took an hour, and if you get an error along the way...
    -Brad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    15 hours? hmmm... that seems to be too long. I would normally take 6-7 hours max. Format+Install+SP3+software. I also Install Adobe Creative Suite and Visual Studio 2008. By the way, my OS is XP, I think Vista would take longer to install.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bizcare View Post
    ...I think Vista would take longer to install.
    You would be wrong to think that.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To reinstall all the usefull stuff my machine takes approximately 12 hrs. Time consuming task is to update all drivers / windows service packs etc from internet. May be it is because of my slow internet ( having bandwidth of only 2mb).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes be about 20 minutes to perform a fresh install with about 80% of the software I need. Maybe another 15 minutes to install 95% of the rest of what I need. Then as I run into things over the next several days I install things as I need them.

But I run Ubuntu, I built a custom install cd that uses a preseed to answer all the questions and I install off of a local mirror.
    Add your logo to Pocket Folders.