SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Pragmatic Programmer halfasleeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Altoona, PA. USA
    Posts
    1,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Should I quite my job?

    I am the senior web developer for a local retail company, I manage 2 websites for them, the front end, the back end, flash apps, I also develop and maintain other internal web based systems and responsible for designing graphics, creating videos, etc. etc. I have been there 3 years. I started at $15/hr plus 2% commission of what the website makes. about a year into the job the web business started really picking up, at that time they took away the 2% commission and gave me a $1/hr raise so I now make $16/hour even in the small city I live in I feel that is very low. The environment is not very well suited for a developer at all, they are constantly taking me off of tasks half way through and putting me on others, they constantly accuse me of just surfing the net and not working, they told me everything I have made for them, I cannot put in my portfolio.

    But the economy is bad and jobs are hard to find, especially for a programmer in this area. Can anyone please give me some advice I am going crazy!
    Altoona Design
    Freelance Flex developer for hire.
    ActionScript Programmer with 8 Years Experience.

  2. #2
    SitePoint Evangelist ferrari_chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NP, New Zealand
    Posts
    576
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say start looking for another job, for sure.

    However, don't quit this one until you have another one to go to - not with the economy the way it is.

  3. #3
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,215
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    ask yourself if you can live entirely on the income from freelancing

    that should be a pretty quick decision, after which you should go with the advice in post #2

    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  4. #4
    SitePoint Enthusiast dekree2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start to look for job.

    At the same time, try Elance or look for opportunities in forums. You have web development skills that you can use to make money.

    But don't quit yet.
    Do You 8vertise?
    Do You IanKree.com-To Wake Your Financial Genius Up

  5. #5
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better you do not quit this job unless you manage another one. Good luck.

  6. #6
    King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,840
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfasleeps View Post
    But the economy is bad and jobs are hard to find, especially for a programmer in this area. Can anyone please give me some advice I am going crazy!
    Build up some work outside of work, do some freelancing, make some connections.

    Once that is up and going, then you can consider quitting. For now, stick with it.

  7. #7
    @alexstanford Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfasleeps View Post
    I am the senior web developer for a local retail company, I manage 2 websites for them, the front end, the back end, flash apps, I also develop and maintain other internal web based systems and responsible for designing graphics, creating videos, etc. etc. I have been there 3 years. I started at $15/hr plus 2% commission of what the website makes. about a year into the job the web business started really picking up, at that time they took away the 2% commission and gave me a $1/hr raise so I now make $16/hour even in the small city I live in I feel that is very low. The environment is not very well suited for a developer at all, they are constantly taking me off of tasks half way through and putting me on others, they constantly accuse me of just surfing the net and not working, they told me everything I have made for them, I cannot put in my portfolio.

    But the economy is bad and jobs are hard to find, especially for a programmer in this area. Can anyone please give me some advice I am going crazy!
    halfasleeps,

    I'm in an extremely similar position. The issues you have with your job sounds like a direct replication of the issues I deal with at the company I work for. Here's the harsh fact: you're right! In this economy it's nearly impossible to replace the position you have. I'm being paid $9 / hour with no commission, not even benefits. I also manage every aspect of web development for this company, with the exception of some backend development. I am also told that I am messing around or fooling off when I'm working 55+ hour, 7 day weeks to maintain unrealistic expectations. I'm not saying what you or I deal with is right or proper, but it's not sensible to quit until something else opens up.

    I'm also looking for a job, like you. I'm in my own situation which makes it hard for me to change employment without assistance currently, and my employer knows it. For this reason, I haven't even been granted raises when reviews come. They offer me a good review, but yet no compensation due to knowing I can't leave sensibly.

    So, like mentioned previously, stick it out until a solid, better offer is in ink. Sometimes we have to bite the tongue a little. I've had a VERY hard time doing this in my situation, which is drastically wrong, so I thought I'd share the pain with you.

    Alex
    Alex Stanford @alexstanford tumblog about.me in fb G+ K
    TechTalkin The Premier Community for Technology Enthusiasts and Professionals
    Full Ambit Media Zero Sacrifice Web Design & Development; Made in the USA @fullambit in fb G+ K

  8. #8
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfasleeps View Post
    about a year into the job the web business started really picking up, at that time they took away the 2% commission and gave me a $1/hr raise so I now make $16/hour
    This is the point where I would have quit. Let you do the job and when it gives results cut you off of the profit you earn them? C'mon!

    If you can do that, there are thousands of little to medium and big ecommerce businesses out there that would be more than willing to let you pick their business up and pay you a lot more than 2% and/or the salary.
    Saul

  9. #9
    @alexstanford Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    This is the point where I would have quit. Let you do the job and when it gives results cut you off of the profit you earn them? C'mon!

    If you can do that, there are thousands of little to medium and big ecommerce businesses out there that would be more than willing to let you pick their business up and pay you a lot more than 2% and/or the salary.
    That's easy to say, but as someone who's been an american web developer on the job hunt during the recent economy - it's less true than ever. I'm not saying opporunity doesn't still exist, but the competition is higher and pay rates are lower currently with a general drop in overall opportunity. With these 3 factors combined, it's though out there.

    I'm not saying anyone should give up on finding another position, but everyone should be encouraged to hold onto employment until something better is found. If not for financial reasons, it just generally looks better on the resume.

    Alex
    Alex Stanford @alexstanford tumblog about.me in fb G+ K
    TechTalkin The Premier Community for Technology Enthusiasts and Professionals
    Full Ambit Media Zero Sacrifice Web Design & Development; Made in the USA @fullambit in fb G+ K

  10. #10
    HAHA!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sure sucks

    they gave you performance related pay then once your performance made your pay seem too high they took it away - pretty shabby! Make sure you exit softly and fall on a nice cushion of freelance work so you don't have your back against the wall and have to live in a tent.
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

    Submit articles to an article directory

  11. #11
    @alexstanford Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostpitable View Post
    sure sucks

    they gave you performance related pay then once your performance made your pay seem too high they took it away - pretty shabby! Make sure you exit softly and fall on a nice cushion of freelance works so you don't have your back against the wall and have to live in a tent.
    You said it! This is more common than people want to realize, I believe.
    Alex Stanford @alexstanford tumblog about.me in fb G+ K
    TechTalkin The Premier Community for Technology Enthusiasts and Professionals
    Full Ambit Media Zero Sacrifice Web Design & Development; Made in the USA @fullambit in fb G+ K

  12. #12
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,284
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    That's easy to say, but as someone who's been an american web developer on the job hunt during the recent economy - it's less true than ever. I'm not saying opporunity doesn't still exist, but the competition is higher and pay rates are lower currently with a general drop in overall opportunity. With these 3 factors combined, it's though out there.
    I was trying to be cautious to say that, but I said it, I know it's easier said than done.

    But I based that on the fact that recently I have given up on a similar business relationship with a nice lady from US just because I didn't like the order processing and outsourcing is not my thing (still feel bad about it). Didn't see very high competition there. The competition is higher but so is the demand of all those folks out there who already had businesses online and now need it more then ever, as well as new guys to whom it's the last chance.
    Saul

  13. #13
    @alexstanford Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    757
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    I was trying to be cautious to say that, but I said it, I know it's easier said than done.

    But I based that on the fact that recently I have given up on a similar business relationship with a nice lady from US just because I didn't like the order processing and outsourcing is not my thing (still feel bad about it). Didn't see very high competition there. The competition is higher but so is the demand of all those folks out there who already had businesses online and now need it more then ever, as well as new guys to whom it's the last chance.
    That's fair. I just don't want give the undecided the impression that others are out doing this with ease. Leaving a job for freelancing is a task that's less manageable for many than even a dysfunctional job. As far as companies go, in my recent experience they have been very hesitant to hire people right now, especially at a good rate.

    Alex
    Alex Stanford @alexstanford tumblog about.me in fb G+ K
    TechTalkin The Premier Community for Technology Enthusiasts and Professionals
    Full Ambit Media Zero Sacrifice Web Design & Development; Made in the USA @fullambit in fb G+ K

  14. #14
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quitting job these days can be a tricky business.
    You must check other options first before quitting.
    Please make the decision after giving lot of thoughts.
    Good luck

  15. #15
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should find another job and start a part time web development business.

  16. #16
    SitePoint Member webinnosales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to think million times to come up with final decision..but consider its really hard to find job at the moment for we currently suffering for global crisis...

    Good luck!!


    Quote Originally Posted by halfasleeps View Post
    I am the senior web developer for a local retail company, I manage 2 websites for them, the front end, the back end, flash apps, I also develop and maintain other internal web based systems and responsible for designing graphics, creating videos, etc. etc. I have been there 3 years. I started at $15/hr plus 2% commission of what the website makes. about a year into the job the web business started really picking up, at that time they took away the 2% commission and gave me a $1/hr raise so I now make $16/hour even in the small city I live in I feel that is very low. The environment is not very well suited for a developer at all, they are constantly taking me off of tasks half way through and putting me on others, they constantly accuse me of just surfing the net and not working, they told me everything I have made for them, I cannot put in my portfolio.

    But the economy is bad and jobs are hard to find, especially for a programmer in this area. Can anyone please give me some advice I am going crazy!

    WEB-Innovators-Professional and Quality Web Services

    MSN:webinnosales@web-innovators.com

  17. #17
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    16$/hour...omg man that's bad bad...

  18. #18
    Pragmatic Programmer halfasleeps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Altoona, PA. USA
    Posts
    1,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your comments, I'd love to start my own business but I would need to find a partner who can talk to clients, thats probably my biggest weakness.
    Altoona Design
    Freelance Flex developer for hire.
    ActionScript Programmer with 8 Years Experience.

  19. #19
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with others who say find a job first. And check out elance or try teaching people in your area how to build a website. Soooo many people want to learn but they think they can't. You could try contacting companies (especially small ones) who don't have a website and offer to make one for them for a specified price. Something like that. Good luck!


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •