User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website Security

Hi all,

I am a new programmer. I am good in C,C++. Recently, I have an idea for a website. So, I started learning ASP.net,C#,JavaScript,HTML,CSS.
    I know that these are enough for a website development. But, I am afraid of, whether, I can build a robust website.
    Will it be secure? Will it cause any problems for the users and all this stuff a newbee is worried about. So, any advice about how to go along and work with the website? I always go to youtube,amazon etc and as we all know, they are really good websites and they are secure. I want something like that.Not many graphic gimmicks.

I would also like to know about Web Services. What is the purpose?

With the above mentioned languages and skill sets, will my website standout strong? Or do I have to learn something else? TIA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1st of all the question of will it be secure is answered in the same manner as asking if a C or C++ app will be secure, it all depends on the code you produce and requires testing to ensure their are as few vulnerabilities as possible.

As for the languages you need to learn and use, it depends on the type of site you are designing. I personally prefer to work in a LAMP environment but that's just me.

What would you like to know about web services?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I am just starting to learn the web side programming. That is the reason why my question is so lame. I do not want to program in C or C++ right now.

I am just looking to build a website that interacts with other websites. Exigg and reddit just add their buttons on different sites so that users of those other sites can come and do things in their sites. I am also planning something like that. Not much graphics. Just a decent looking site like digg.

Yes, I understand that security depends on how I write my code. My question is, is it enough to learn ASP.net,JavaScript,ADO,HTML,CSS for building a decent looking site. I have no knowledge of flash,Actionscript,AJAX etc.

Secondly, Do I need WebServices for interacting with other websites? I just provide the code or HTML to place my button on websites that are interested. So, when the users click on that button, they are directed to my website(just like the D i g g (or) r e d d it buttons). To make the users more comfortable, I ask the website to give me some information to fill up in a few textboxes/fields, so that the users need not fill them again. ex: if the user clicked my button on a face book page, then he is directed to my website where he/she has to log-in and fill out a few fields like age etc. So, to make him/her feel comfortable and at eaz, I ask the facebook to send me some info like age,gender to fill up the fields when he/she clicks on the button.
    For this task, do I need Webservices to interact with the other website.

TIA.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should check out the scriptaculous ajax library. It's incredibly easy to use and looks great.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you could really benefit from reading darn near anything on Kent Brewster's home page. He "invented" a technique he calls Case Hardened Javascript, mainly for use in interactive widgets (like the ones that you see for digg, twitter, etc...) You can read about it at:
    http://kentbrewster.com/case-hardened-javascript/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The title says "Website Security" and some of you are talking about JavaScript?

Are we talking about web application security or what?

If you are creating a secure website, the first step is to create a secure application, then you implement a secure software environment and lastly you secure yourself on a hardware level.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most of the security issues will be with the server side code. While there are a few things to consider with JavaScript most of the client side security is taken care of by the browser. So in your case you will be looking at what security you need in ASP.NET and C# in much the same way you will have previously considered security in C and C++.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">