SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast grant.smith's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sexy Web Design, Will it help me actually create the site?

Hi,

I've been dipping in and out of Web Design for many years, pretty much as my company requires it. So you would think I should know my stuff by now... Wrong!

Anyway, last week my company suddenly wanted me to create a HTML email, and with the help of Sitepoint (as always!) I did. This reminded me how much I love playing around with web design, and how much I should really devote some time to learning the process properly. Because of this I discovered the Sitepoint book "Sexy Web Design", I've read the free sample and it looks excellent.

So my question is, I know this book will tell me about good design but will it actually help me create the layout with tutorials or is that left to another book?

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No code is actually provided in the book, or at least if there is it's minimal.

As you guessed, the book is focused entirely on design. If you want a complete refresher, Ian Lloyd's SitePoint book is a good one, or perhaps The Art & Science of CSS if you want a more intermediate/advanced code book.

HTH

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want practice creating designss then I suggest Eric Meyer on CSS

Some sitepoint books for teaching HTML and CSS are
    The Ultimate HTML Reference
    The Ultimate CSS Reference

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the difference between the books: "SEXY WEB DESIGN" and "The Principles of Beautiful Web Design" ??? Don't they cover the same thing?

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cgntoonartist View Post
    What is the difference between the books: "SEXY WEB DESIGN" and "The Principles of Beautiful Web Design" ??? Don't they cover the same thing?
    As far as I know, there is more of a progression from POBWD to SWD, taking things a step further. I don't think you should be too worried about overlap, as that was considered closely I believe. Think of both books as a compliment to each other.

If you're in any doubt about Sexy Web Design, then don't be. Elliot Jay Stocks is a mind-blowing designer. No, really, just google for his name and check out his portfolio