SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is an IDE all that helpful?

I do most of my php/html/css/js coding in VIM right now. How would an IDE help me, what do they do that's more than just a text editor?
    Supermighty's blog: Debian Virtualbox for local web development.
    Notes from the Walled City

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find an IDE useful for file management as well as many of the code completion and highlighting. I always look at it like trying to build a house with nothing but a hammer and pocket knife. You might get there eventually but the tools made for your specific need are going to do it far more efficiently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It won't make you a better coder but code completion and highlighting will speed up the process.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I...write some code (mostly tests) hit F5 and instantly debug the code from inside the editor. If I was using a standard text editor, I would have to save it, open it into a browser or cli manually. An IDE helps greatly to streamline the process.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The point of IDE’s is to allow you to have greater control over your code. The advantages usually include syntax highlighting, code completion, line numbering, code grouping, debugging and other things which while not helping you produce code will make your code easier to maintain, read and organise. Basically there are a lot of benefits over plaintext as it allows you to spot obvious mistakes in your code easier and it acts almost as a timesaver. Unlike WYSIWYG editors, IDE’s still make sure you do the code writing, they just make the process a bit more fluid.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With an IDE you can increase your production by around 40%, because it have code completition, error checking, and other useful tools.