SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know much about SAP?

Does anyone here know too much about SAP? I have an opportunity to get some work doing some work for a small to med business if I can learn something about the system.
    I looked on the site for SAP but all the training available was a little overwhelming. Where is a good place to start?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm familiar with it as an end user, but I've never tried any scripting in it. SAP is basically a giant DBMS, monolithic & closed source, of course. It uses a proprietary scripting language called ABAP. Wikipedia actually has a very detailed entry on ABAP, and there are some tutorials out there on the language. You can also register at the SAP Community Network and get access to more tutorials and resources.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by comusher View Post
    I have an opportunity to get some work doing some work for a small to med business if I can learn something about the system.
    Ummm, what small to medium sized business uses SAP?

SAP is a giant, bloated, badly designed piece of software that normally costs millions upon millions of dollars and takes years to implement.

When I was first starting out in the IT world, I designed training materials for an SAP implementation (Materials Management, Production Planning, Finance and Comptroller (?) modules). It was frustrating to figure out SAP even with a bevy of subject matter experts to draw on.

Some functions you had to go through the Menu to get to, some you had to type in shortcut codes, some you could get to either way, some had multiple codes and menu paths that you could use. I'd find help topics in the help that were still in German for christ's sake.

The upside is that if you can get an SAP job you'll be in good shape financially for a long time. Not sure that per diems are like nowadays but back in the day they rocked for SAP developers.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Ummm, what small to medium sized business uses SAP?
    Don't you remember the SAP commercials from last year (we had them in the US). SAP has tried to attack the mid-size market although that's true mid-size and not simply a bigger small company.

As tke said, SAP is a fairly massive software package with a lot of native features that is a huge project to install and change.... it's intended to have its hands in everything. Its very rare for a company that installs SAP not to have developers or consultants already around to work on it as it's just not something you do overnight.

Ramping up won't be quick but you can find books on it and if you do learn it it's a very desirable skill for companies with the package (who would have to spend millions to leave it versus just updating).
    - Ted S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is small to med but growing quickly since it is a green company that will benefit from the push for renewables.

I have already read the wikipedia page. I will join the community and maybe look into some books for more info to see if this is really something I want to get myself into.

The money would be nice, but then I really need a change of scenery more than anything.