SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Content for a website portfolio

So im just now starting to photoshop something up for my website portfolio and im just asking around what to include on it content wise. Of course im going to show "Latest Work" on the home page but other than that i dont really have many ideas.

I love the design aspect of designing websites, but when it comes to the content i can never think of things (and yes ive heard that its good to design AROUND the content so i gotta start getting better at this) =S Anyone have any advice?

thx!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This article is helpful:
    http://www.veen.com/jeff/archives/000935.html

Basically you should include as much info about the project as you can. Folks involved in hiring want to know what you did on a project, not just see a screen shot of it.

How about you plan out the content you want on the site first? Don't just design from nothing, get out a piece of paper and think about what your best works are, and what you have to say about them. Your resume is a great thing to include on your portfolio, as well as a list of sites you've worked on or clients you've worked for.

Here's a portfolio I like:
    http://www.squidfingers.com/work/
    I dig the content section, but the thumbnails are a bit small and not too descriptive.

http://www.happycog.com/design/
    These guys write whole pages on what they did for the client, but I find they're a bit short on screenshots.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well in your portfolio you need to provide your "Best Works"

Also, if your site is designed to target certain markets such as lets say "Small Businesses" then you need to put work that you have done for small businesses.

If your main market is the automotive market then you need to put alot of Automotive work in your portfolio.

Remember this...Your site is ALWAYS targeted toward your client, so what ever type of client you are reaching out to and marketing to, make your site based around them.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I did is that I screenshotted my web site and next to it I put a description of the website with a link to it. Worked fine with me!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put a screen shot of each website you've created, then write down any special features the website has (eg top for term x or y in Google, ecommerce, cms etc) and customer testimonials. Maybe also state what the customer asked you to do and what they asked the site to look like. Obviously put a link (maybe nofollow) to the website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah a page of nice screenshots displaying your websites has always proved beneficial to me.