SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Procrastinator Extraordinaire lucas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deploying incremental changes to production asp.net site

I develop internal applications for my company along with the dozen other hats I wear. I am getting to the point now where I am about to start building an application that is going to be much larger than anything I have built before.

When I was working with PHP, I would make changes to my dev site, test, and copy over the files that were changed to production so the site could stay up while I was updating it.

What is the best way to deploy incremental updates to production using VS2005 web projects?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do the same in .net although some people would consider it bad practice. Not all of us have the time to avoid a little bad practice

Seriously - it might not be a bad idea to have a maintenance page you can put in place for a few minutes while you make your updates, especially if recompile is happening, or you need to make DB updates at the same time.

And unless you are already using some kind of version control, be absolutely sure to back up every file that you over-write. So you can revert if something goes wrong on the production server that you didn't catch in development. It happens. I have been saved by this "poor man's" revert technique many times.

Make sure you can always go backwards. (One of the rules I live by)

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is absolutely no excuse to not use version control these days. Deployment-wise, for simpler projects, we tend to run with some varation of XCopy deployments. For more complex stuff, we build MSIs using VS Deployment projects (not web deployment projects) and then pave over things.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cant you update only updated ASP file and its associate DLLs?

SitePoint Enthusiast WindowsHosting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

If he uses xcopy deployment, the project will be compiled on the fly, and he could just overwrite updated files.
    IMHO it will be much better to copy all the files in testing environment, and to precompile the project for production.

Regards
    Find Free ASP.NET hosting information and resources at http://www.windowshostingasp.net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really should use an automated build/continuous integration tool like CruiseControl or TeamCity.

If your not doing one click deployments then your just wasting your time. The typical process goes like this:

1. Script checks out all files from version control.
    2. A continuous integration tool checks out the code, runs a build and any automated tests you have.
    3. Some batch script or something knows how to transfer the files to the right place, putting up temporary "upgrading" pages and restarting IIS, doing database changes.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^That is fine and good, presuming you trust your developers touching production environments. I don't.

@windowshosting--on the fly compilation versus precompiled really doesn't matter for most cases. Most of our xcopy scenarios involve compiling the sites anyhow, then copying over appropriate bits and/or deploying a package of updated bits.