SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Layout OK in FF - Not OK in IE7

I had a template created a while back and it displays fine in Firefox, but the right hand panel drops below the left hand panel in IE. I'm not very experienced with CSS due to the 'old dog, new tricks' thing...but I'm trying .

I can't for the life of me work out why it's borked in IE though. The page in question is at http://www.speakingskillstraining.com/

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have no DTD which is causing quirks mode in IE. Add a valid doctype to the top of your page.

Just adding
    Code:
    <!doctype html>
    Before <html> fixes it.
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ryan,

Quote Originally Posted by RyanReese View Post
    You have no DTD which is causing quirks mode in IE. Add a valid doctype to the top of your page.

Just adding
    Code:
    <!doctype html>
    Before <html> fixes it.
    Thanks ..all fixed . Looks like I need to bury my head in some 'standards and best practices' material!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your welcome . If you have any more questions just ask.
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have another one coming up shortly but had to reply to this first. I did a big forehead slap when I stopped and thought about what you had told me.

I don't think I've checked a DTD in about 10 years ... ever since I started using dreamweaver and it so conveniently put it in there for me. That particular template had been outsourced and I guess the guy who created it doesn't use dreamweaver .

You seem quite young and I have to say that I'm really impressed at your depth of knowledge. You've obviously put a heck of a lot of time into CSS and it's a really smart path to go down given the ever increasing prominence of CSS layouts in web development. I started writing web pages on a linux box using vi in the mid 90's so the transition to CSS has been a bit slow for me. I'm not a web designer and it's really only been over the past 12 months or so that I've started using CSS styles.

Aside from that I did learn two things from your reply.

1. IE Quirks mode - I'd not heard of it before.

2. Always check the DTD!

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teckyhead View Post
    I have another one coming up shortly but had to reply to this first. I did a big forehead slap when I stopped and thought about what you had told me.
    Lol
    I don't think I've checked a DTD in about 10 years ... ever since I started using dreamweaver and it so conveniently put it in there for me. That particular template had been outsourced and I guess the guy who created it doesn't use dreamweaver .
    That is the #1 reason I hate WYSIWYG editors-CRAP

You seem quite young and I have to say that I'm really impressed at your depth of knowledge. You've obviously put a heck of a lot of time into CSS
    Buddy you don't know half the time I put into it..

and it's a really smart path to go down given the ever increasing prominence of CSS layouts in web development. I started writing web pages on a linux box using vi in the mid 90's so the transition to CSS has been a bit slow for me. I'm not a web designer and it's really only been over the past 12 months or so that I've started using CSS styles.
    Once I get a job on this crap I'm set for life...I think I know more then some 30-40 year olds (I'm not humble ). I see CSS as the future-why not get a headstart?
    Aside from that I did learn two things from your reply.

1. IE Quirks mode - I'd not heard of it before.

2. Always check the DTD!

Thanks again!
    Yep. Validating your pages is a key before ever coming here. Go to w3 and validate before coming.
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09