SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Freelancing, What hasn't worked for you?

When it comes to freelancing what have you tried that just didn't work?
    Why didn't it work? Was it bad timing or bad execution?
    a new day, a new beginning
    never follow the crowd, the crowd is poor!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always found freelancing websites like Elance to be quite bad value for money for freelancers.

The jobs are always along the lines of "build me a Facebook clone," and they have a budget of $500.

It is where I got my first web development jobs and it is usually necessary for people to start small first. I am sure a lot of freelancers started on these sort of websites.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NetNerd85 View Post
    When it comes to freelancing what have you tried that just didn't work?
    Why didn't it work? Was it bad timing or bad execution?
    Elance, ScriptLance, SoloGig, MechanicalTurk, etc., etc.

All these freelance sites seem to be garbage. The first obstacle is the competition - not just qualitative but quantitative. There are hundreds of people lined up to pounce on any and every freelance opportunity. Second, you're often competing with people around the world, which helps those hiring offer rock-bottom pay. Third, some of these sites are as gimmicky as Microsoft. They offer you a better chance if you take a test or jump through some other hoop - for a fee.

Fourth, some are downright bizarre. Have you checked out Mechanical Turk? Some of the taks they ask people to do (often for a few pennies per task) are simply mind boggling.

I've landed a few freelance gigs, but few or none of them from the sites I mentioned above. Frankly, I think most freelance websites have become overrun with con artists.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post
    Elance, ScriptLance, SoloGig, MechanicalTurk, etc., etc.

All these freelance sites seem to be garbage. The first obstacle is the competition - not just qualitative but quantitative. There are hundreds of people lined up to pounce on any and every freelance opportunity. Second, you're often competing with people around the world, which helps those hiring offer rock-bottom pay. Third, some of these sites are as gimmicky as Microsoft. They offer you a better chance if you take a test or jump through some other hoop - for a fee.

Fourth, some are downright bizarre. Have you checked out Mechanical Turk? Some of the taks they ask people to do (often for a few pennies per task) are simply mind boggling.

I've landed a few freelance gigs, but few or none of them from the sites I mentioned above. Frankly, I think most freelance websites have become overrun with con artists.
    Totally agree. There are some really good jobs available on sites like Elance, but you just get undercut by somebody in India.
    Last week I found a good job and made a bid of $800. The job was awarded to a developer in India for $200 that claimed 10 people would be working on the job. You take a look at the portfolios of these people and the work they produce is terrible.

How can we compete?

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the time freelance sites require the job to be based on a fixed rate, but I think it is more fair to both parties to work with an hourly rate. Programming tasks can be hard to predict the exact hours, and this is normal.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have tried freelance website such as e-lance, odesk, scriptlance, peopleperhour, guru, rentacoder and others. Half of the jobs were not legitimate (they just kept recycling the same job posts) the ones which were ended up going to someone who's portfolio was clearly not up to standard (by people employing the cheapest person they could find). Quite frankly they are a complete waste of time and money in my opinion.

Also I used to work in freelance software development but with the rise in open source applications which are free, commercial software is becoming ever more pointless so I have decided to focus my business were my real skills are. Web design and development as at least I know there is a genuine want for people who know what they are doing. I would not recommend software development at a freelance level anymore, why would anyone really want to spend hundreds on a paid package when there is so much high quality free and open source software out there which is pretty much as good as you will ever need (with few exceptions)

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had what you can call a phenomenal success with Scriptlance in the past. It was in 2005 and I don't know if anything has changed.

There were always shady projects as well as cheap bids, but there were legitimate ones too. I used it to find clients, not as a workplace. Few months in, I barely used it at all due to the business relationships I made through it.

The only reason I quit freelance was because it has become too similar to a regular j.o.b. - helping someone make money while getting beans and following orders.
    Saul

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried freelancing whilst also tying down a full time web design job. Simply too much - even for someone passionate like myself!