SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.Tel will be great success ?

.Tel is really an innovative idea with it’s simplicity without need a website and web host, you do not need any knowledge of website and web programming like HTML/ASP/PHP etc.
    In terms of simplicity, I think even my grandma can set it up.

But if .tel can be successful, there are still many question marks. Although it has structural data which is good for Search engine, but this is no way to make it “Rich In Contents”. If a domain (website) can do well, another important factor is the “Aging”, .Tel just came out, there is no way to compete with thousands of aged sites. So you need to expose your site on internet as much as possible, like put your .tel to the “Showcase section” of forums, another way is to list your site on many directories.
    Last edited by tony1221; Apr 8, 2009 at 19:56.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be suprised is .tel does become really popular

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea and this will be popular

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    .tel contact pages will only ever be competing for attention with other .tel contact pages. They will be entirely separate from the rest of the web and people will search either .tel or the rest of the web depending on what they are looking for.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Firstly, the .tel debate has already been talked about in another thread and we came to the general consensus that seeing as a dot tel domain cannot provide nearly as much information with the same depth of structure as a normal domain, all you have is a pointless domain extension which really gives no meaningful benefit to the person who purchases one. Any website can be produced without knowledge of website development (though the end result will alike any premade structure be limited). Essentially the dot tel domains are nothing more than yet another domain extension being added to the masses which will be unlikely to gain popularity due to the restricted nature of its content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That will be popular as ME used to be. I'm sure that .COM only will be in the lead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    That will be popular as ME used to be. I'm sure that .COM only will be in the lead.
    Err, don't you mean... .COM / .NET / .ORG... they have always been more popular than these "quirky" explicit TLD extensions.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    Well there are only so many people in Montenegro with internet access so a domain that targets the whole world (such as .com) will always have more visitors than a country specific one.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Felgall, correct me if I am wrong but Montenegro is an exception to the rule due to their domain extension being .ME which has wide appeal due to it being a word which would have serious relevance to individuals worldwide eg: help.me / save.me / love.me / kiss.me.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Felgall, correct me if I am wrong but Montenegro is an exception to the rule due to their domain extension being .ME which has wide appeal due to it being a word which would have serious relevance to individuals worldwide eg: help.me / save.me / love.me / kiss.me.
    As well as .fm, .tv, and some others that have other associations in various languages. Sure, those cc TLD's were given to specific countries, but they aren't only used by those countries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    linkin99, correct they have almost become a country generic extension on the basis that their name has some alternative symbolism.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .mob hasn't really taken off in a massive way (mob = mobile phones) so I can't really see this excelling either. I remember people raving about .eu at the time too, and that didn't ever really set the world on fire.

Not to be totally negative thoough, if a keyword domain that you like is available, I say go for it. Therefore are exceptions to every rule, so it's not like a website can't be successful due to its domain name extentsion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just for the purpose of clarification, it is .mobi, not .mob

As for .eu that extension is specific to any country within the European Union and it has its purpose as an extension.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess .tel won't be the last extension they put out, there's more useless ones coming in the future.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony1221 View Post
    .Tel is really an innovative idea with it’s simplicity without need a website and web host, you do not need any knowledge of website and web programming like HTML/ASP/PHP etc.
    In terms of simplicity, I think even my grandma can set it up.

But if .tel can be successful, there are still many question marks. Although it has structural data which is good for Search engine, but this is no way to make it “Rich In Contents”. If a domain (website) can do well, another important factor is the “Aging”, .Tel just came out, there is no way to compete with thousands of aged sites. So you need to expose your site on internet as much as possible, like put your .tel to the “Showcase section” of forums, another way is to list your site on many directories.
    One guy just sold his dottel domain (lesbian.tel) on sedo for USD 1000.
    That means many people are interested in .tel now. I think as many dottel applications are developing , dottel has a good chance of success.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linkin99 View Post
    As well as .fm, .tv, and some others that have other associations in various languages. Sure, those cc TLD's were given to specific countries, but they aren't only used by those countries.
    And those countries actually own those domains and so if they ever do need them for their own use they can just throw everyone off and re-use it for what they want to use it for. The only safe domains to purchase apart from within your own country specific TLD are those which are for international use (3 or more characters apart from .gov, .mil, and .edu all of which are US TLDs that were introduced before the standard for country specific TLDs being two characters was introduced).

Of course while Montenegro, Micronesia, and Tuvala etc can make heaps pf money out of loaning you domains they may not have a great incentive to kick you off since your payments for their domains are helping to fund their country.
    Stephen J Chapman