Hybrid View

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy devbanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ruby 1.9?

Hi,

I'd like to know whether it is yet safe and production-ready to upgrade to Ruby 1.9. It seems to come with some benefits.

The gems I'm using include RSpec, RSpec-Rails, Cucumber, Webrat, Capistrano, Nokogiri, and MySQL.

On my server, I deploy on Passenger.

One thing I'm curious about is Ruby Enterprise Edition. I already run this on my server, but I don't think they have a 1.9 version yet, do they? So is it better to stay with this and Ruby 1.8.6, or to upgrade to Ruby 1.9?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devbanana View Post
    Hi,

I'd like to know whether it is yet safe and production-ready to upgrade to Ruby 1.9. It seems to come with some benefits.

The gems I'm using include RSpec, RSpec-Rails, Cucumber, Webrat, Capistrano, Nokogiri, and MySQL.

On my server, I deploy on Passenger.

One thing I'm curious about is Ruby Enterprise Edition. I already run this on my server, but I don't think they have a 1.9 version yet, do they? So is it better to stay with this and Ruby 1.8.6, or to upgrade to Ruby 1.9?

Thanks in advance.
    I think it is too early to migrate on 1.9.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy devbanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kolobok, can you clarify a bit? I'm looking for reasons.

And is it better to use Ruby EE, or 1.9?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would stick with 1.8.6 for now. I know a lot of people are moving towards 1.9, but its still not quite an "official" release. Also, there could be some "gotchas" with the change, as I think to implement some of the speed increases, they were fixing some scope issues (so your app might break!). 1.9.1 is the first stable release. I'd keep an eye out for blogs and forum topics re: anything people have been saying about its stability/bugs. I wouldn't be horribly surprised if they had another release in the next couple of months

Ruby EE is streamlined 1.8.6, I'm not sure how it compares to 1.9 though.
    Many of the cool features of 1.9 are being ported to Rails 2.3.2 (like .try()), on the assumption you're running Rails.
    If you give someone a program,
    you will frustrate them for a day;
    if you teach them how to program,
    you will frustrate them for a lifetime.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.9 is faster, by far, you should be checking your app to make sure it can make the change.

Aside from that, you need to make sure each gem you're using in the app works with 1.9. In particular, the thread model has some changes that broke a lot of things.

It's definitely time to start the process of moving to 1.9.x, but don't go there until you've tested everything, first.