SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automatic Software deisgn

Are there any tools for automatic or wizard-like style for software design. Or constructor-like style? Like we have CAD for engineering or 3D modelling tools, are there similar things for OO design?
    Maybe an expert system?
    Or, at least OO and DB model checking. In OO model - that it follows patterns. In DB model - that it in in 2,3,4,5 normal form. I realise, it can't be done fully automatically, but in wizard-like style, when system asks for the relations an additinal info - maybe.

Have anyone heard of this? All I found is http://www.libreka.de/9783540747819/...A3NDc4MTkvNTI=

I'm interested since I'm thinking of the problem for Ph.D. dissertation. Is it theoretically possible to solve this task? Is it really needed on the market?
    IQ RIA - Delivering smart web-applications
    High-quality PHP, Yii, Ruby on Rails, ExtJS, Backbone, EmberJS and jQuery consulting.
    Dashboards, HTML5 and CRM development.
    Request a quote now!

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few months ago I wrote a desktop application, where you simply had to click a checkbox for each feature you wanted, and the application (knowing depenencies) would save the correct framework files to the selected folder.

The administration side of the application allows for editing and addition of framework files, options and dependencies.

How has it come of use? Not at all, really. No matter what, I still prefer to write my own code from scratch.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting articles. However, it is just advanced code generation. My question is about model generation. E.g. very clever expert system, that accepts some formalized description, performs some reasoning, asks questions if there is no enough info and output the ready UML model. Sure, we can perform code generation from that UML later. As far as I searched the internet, only NASA and several scientists work at this problem, but they concentrate more on the process definition -> statechart diagram conversion. Or non-evident conversion between diagrams, e.g. collaboration to statechart.
    High-quality PHP, Yii, Ruby on Rails, ExtJS, Backbone, EmberJS and jQuery consulting.
    Request a quote now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    A few months ago I wrote a desktop application, where you simply had to click a checkbox for each feature you wanted, and the application (knowing depenencies) would save the correct framework files to the selected folder.

The administration side of the application allows for editing and addition of framework files, options and dependencies.

How has it come of use? Not at all, really. No matter what, I still prefer to write my own code from scratch.
    Nice system, I wrote similar thing in the past, but it wasn't so advanced. However, now I prefer using established and proven strictly OO frameworks for PHP. I chose Yii cause it's fast (http://yiiframework.com). However, it lacks functionality, but it is easily integrated with ZEND and classes from ZEMD can be used either.
    Request a quote now!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KJedi View Post
    Interesting articles. However, it is just advanced code generation. My question is about model generation. E.g. very clever expert system, that accepts some formalized description, performs some reasoning, asks questions if there is no enough info and output the ready UML model. Sure, we can perform code generation from that UML later. As far as I searched the internet, only NASA and several scientists work at this problem, but they concentrate more on the process definition -> statechart diagram conversion. Or non-evident conversion between diagrams, e.g. collaboration to statechart.
    you're looking for an artificial intelligence on top of MDA tools/concepts?

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It would make a simple answer to the problem of WYSIWYG editors if your tool could write semantic code on behalf of people without having to know any HTML or CSS by checking the feature set they require! You could create an alternative to drag and drop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elias View Post
    you're looking for an artificial intelligence on top of MDA tools/concepts?
    Exactly. I'm looking for a direction for my Ph.D. research. This is idea I'm thinking of. So I want to know if there is already something developed here. I know, this may b not so relevant forum for this, but I don't know good alternatives
    Request a quote now!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think there few MDA+AI solutions out there, but
    i don't know an opensource one.

ruby on rails uses the 'inflector' to translate words
    from/to singular/plural. not really an AI but it
    has some (hardcoded) knowledge.

probably there are many usecases for AI in the
    model domain. i'd suggest to look at some of the
    bigger fullstack/RAD frameworks with ORMs and
    see where solutions are needed or approaches
    exist.

maybe interesting as far as i get the idea:
    http://library.witpress.com/pages/Pa...?PaperID=12829

BDD is a good subject to NLP support and
    could also do much for the model. (have a look at cucumber)

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only constant in software is change itself