SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Form Action: PHP_SELF, REQUEST_URI or what?

So in the past, it seems like I've always used PHP_SELF as the action of a form. This seems to work fine for me, but I'm always curious for the "best way" to do stuff. I thought about using REQUEST_URI, but I didn't see any advantage, and the best I can tell, that env variable doesn't exist in the CLI, so it may be unreliable.

I also thought of writing a small function and tucking it away like so:
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    //...
    if (isset($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'])) $uri .= $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];
    else 
    $uri .= $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] . ((!empty($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'])) ? '?' $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'] : '');

return 
    $uri;
    But I'm basically just using the env variables, so not much is gained I guess.

Any input or thoughts? I don't have a framework available, so I'm hoping for a short, sweet, pure php idea.
    MySQL v5.1.58
    PHP v5.3.6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP_SELF will not work if you are using mod_rewrite for friendly urls. PHP_SELF will simply return the script name.

REQUEST_URI is the workaround of course. And I don't see anything in the manual for REQUEST_URI that says it isnt available in CLI. May be worth testing.

If the environment variables are not set for you, then you may need to check your variables_order setting in php.ini to ensure E exists in it.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's one of the reasons I was trying to get away from PHP_SELF. I use a lot of redirects and I didn't like that my forms were showing the underlying file structure at times (though it seems sporadic in when it shows the redirect and now; probably based on 301 vs Rewrite?). I'm looking at REQUEST_URI now, and it seems like a good bet, but I wonder what kind of bugs I'd run into when the form is set to using a GET method... Does anyone have any experience or ideas for testing that out?

And as a footnote, it appears that my local server doesn't include REQUEST_URI in the $_SERVER array if I use the CLI ("C:\Program Files\PHP\php.exe" -f serverinfo.php).
    MySQL v5.1.58
    PHP v5.3.6

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should strip away the query portion of REQUEST_URI if you're going to use it.

REQUEST_URI wouldn't appear in CLI because that's an Apache-specific environmental variable. It's not defined in CGI, and IIS doesn't have it. I don't think there is an equivalent.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sk89q View Post
    ...It's not defined in CGI, and IIS doesn't have it...
    Actually IIS does have it. IIS 7 + FastCGI, I have _SERVER["REQUEST_URI"] Could just be my configuration too, unsure.

To the OP, why can you not hard code the form to submit to a fixed location?
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.