SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fastclick's new InVue ads

To the Fastclick members here, who has heard about/is trying the new InVue ads? I really like the idea and it's better than just popunders because it gives your site a more high-quality feel as generally, only the big sites use these type of ads.

What am I talking about? Well, these are basically popup ads which slowly come across your screen from left-to-right and you can close them like a popup. High five to Fastclick for really being innovative - my main company, BURST!, is being left behind in that area.

Fastclick has some good CPM campaigns running, but my initial success is unfortunately less than I hoped. I'm getting a CPM only half of what I get with regular popunder ads, regrettably. How about you? Will you be running them?

This month is basically just a test run for me - no complains from users yet, just testing the waters with the new InVue ads. My chief concern is having a popunder AND InVue ad come at the same time, that is overwhelming, but rare. According to Fastclick, if you run both, you can't avoid that.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A quick and dirty php script that randomizes whether it's the invue or the popunder that appears. This stops them from appearing at the same time, and doesn't change the fastclick code.

PHP Code:
    <?php
    $popundercode 
    = <<<STRING
    Popunder code here
    Popunder code here
    Popunder code here
    Popunder code here
    Popunder code here
    STRING;

$invuecode = <<<STRING
    Invue code goes here
    Invue code goes here
    Invue code goes here
    Invue code goes here
    Invue code goes here
    STRING;

srand((double)microtime()*1000000);
    //randomize popunder or invue 
    $randomad rand(1,1000);
    if (
    $randomad 500) {
      echo 
    $invuecode;
    } else {
      echo 
    $popundercode;
    }
    ?>
    Last edited by M. Johansson; May 21, 2002 at 03:40.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Jeremy W.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marc,

I looked at them, and then I looked @ the CPM I was getting for my PopUnders and figured it wasn't really worth it. I mean, half the CPM for something that ALL users will see?

I do see your point about the professionalism, but there is also a greater level of annoyance, wouldn't you say? InVue adds piss me off!
    SVP Marketing, SoCast SRM
    Personal blog: Strategerize
    Twitter: @jeremywright

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is anyone else getting a lot less Invues than popunders? I'm seeing only 10% of the Invues compared to popunders. I also think that the Invue ad doesn't get credited if the person does not close it (for example, if the user just leaves or closes the page).

Ralph

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure your second point isn't true. FastClick tracks based on "calls" to the source, so as soon as your page gets the info, you get credited.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's why I think that. I first implemented my Invue code via my ad rotation script, which shows in an IFRAME. This works very nicely for 468x60 ads, because the IFRAME just executes some PHP code that puts up code from different ad networks based on a propotional rotation scheme.

I had the code set up so that if the user viewed more than 20 pages, they would get the Invue ad.

After a couple of days of 0 ads, I realized that something must be wrong. I checked the code, and saw that the Invue doesn't really behave like a popunder, instead it behaves like some kind of sticky ad which is stuck to the page that called it.

Since I was calling the ad in a 468x60 nonscrollable IFRAME (which already had a 468x60 banner on it), the ad was being called (I think), but was not being viewed on a visible part of the screen. Therefore it could never be clicked. That would explain why I didn't get any credit for any Invues before I moved the code out of the IFRAME and onto the main page.

I'm not positive however, since it's always possible that the ad simply wasn't being delivered/requested. After all, it is a Javascript request, maybe something in the IFRAME was preventing it from being invoked -- perhaps since the IFRAME didn't have the standard tage (HTML, HEAD, BODY) it wasn't ever called. I'm just suggesting that this could be the case. It might also explain why I'm seeing only 10% delivery of the Invue vs. the Popunder.

I'm not trying to be accusatory here, just trying to figure things out from a publisher's perspective.

Ralph

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you are right, the ad is part of the page (just a fun dHTML layer).

I would be truly impressed if FastClick had figured out a way to let a dHTML layer send signals to the server, as many others have tried and failed

I realise you aren't trying to be accusatory, and I never took it that way, but the fact of the matter is I don't know of any possible way that it could be anything but on a request basis

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, makes sense to me. Since it's DHTML, then it's probably more sensitive to being placed on a proper HTML page than other coding.

Unfortunately there's no good way to test the code, since it only serves a single impression to an IP address in a 12-hour period. I wish there was a "dummy" campaign that had no capping, and could be used to test delivery. I'm sure that's outside of FC's design though.

Ralph

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Jeremy W.
    I mean, half the CPM for something that ALL users will see?
    What do you mean? I was under the impression that these ads would only show once per 12 hours.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I meant was that the FC popunders are relatively easy to ignore. They don't interfere really. InVue ads on the other hand...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very close to pulling the Invue code from my site. I'm only making $0.90/day from it, and I've received several complaints. From what I can tell the fill rate isn't as good as the popunders. Even if it was 100% fill, I'd only make $5/day from them, which just isn't worth ticking off my visitors.

Ralph

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running them now on my site [http://www.computertim.com], just on the homepage (which has no pop-unders, and only a 120x600 skyscraper ad). No complaints yet.

I'll have to admit that the prices are fairly low, but I'd say give it a chance. Fastclick has just started offering these, and I don't doubt that the prices will start increasing with time and use by publishers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm removing them from my site ... only giving me half the CPM that popunders are ($1.3 vs. $2.6) - just not worth it. My little experiement proved worthwhile and I certainly won't discount trying them again once they become more established...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying them in just one section of my site. The CPM is lower than popunders, but it is adding a few $$ to my revenue.

No complaints at all, so far!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised that the prices seem to be creeping downward. For a very intrusive ad (you can't do anything without closing it -- that's worse than a popunder/popup because you can't just put the window out of focus), it's really not worth running at this point.

The problem I had is that I wasn't getting many of them each day; it might be because I was limiting their viewing to the 5th pageview, but the $0.80/day I was making didn't compensate me enough for the 1-2 e-mail complaints I was getting. (That's on 7K uniques/day, typical popunder delivery is 3-4K/day, Invue delivery was 0.4K-0.8K/day) If I was making $5-6 a day from them I might run them, but $0.80 isn't really worth the effort, especially with prices on the down trend. Plus, it added another 3-4Kb per page, and when you're serving 3 million pages per month, that adds up fast.

The only thing that was somewhat interesting is that some of the banners seemed targetted to Europe. Since European visitors are hard to monetize, maybe that's not a bad thing.

If the quantity/quality of advertisers improves, and the rates creep up to $3-4, I'd put the code back up. I may give them another shot later this month too, just to see how the results are.

Ralph