SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone. First off, I'd like to thank Kevin Yank for writing that excellent article on database-driven website design. I've read literally dozens of articles on the subject and Kevin Yank's is the best one I've read. Its made me decide to get my feet wet in PHP. I'm a newbie in PHP and MySQL so this question might be simple to you guys, but not for me. I have read the article about building a website using PHP and MySQL, and I think I have gotten the basics of the article. The Wrap-up at the end of Part 7 has a suggestion of using a rating system with the jokes. I read in a previous post on this forum that a comments/ratings system could easily be done. I have some rudimentary ideas, but I don't *really* know how'd this would be done..I'd like to know how...

- Would the values for the joke ratings go into a seperate table or be part of an existing table? How would you get the system to sum up the values of all the submissions and divide by the number of submissions to get the average rating of the joke?

-I think I've got a better grasp for the comments. The comments would go in a seperate table and have some ID to correspond to the article, but what about the authors of the comments? Would I have to make a seperate table for those authors and then make another table to be the lookup between the comments and comment authors?

Would there be a simpler way to do this (without buying some outside script or something)?

Thanks in advance,
    numble

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case what I said was confusing, here's a simpler way to put it:

How can I get a comment/rating system for each joke that is similar (but maybe not as complex) as amazon.com's comment/rating system?

An example of what I am talking about is here.