SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help - Inline menu moves down if it cant be displayed

Here's the link to what I'm working on > toplinetools(dot)com (slash) home (dot) html

I got 2 issues that are similar and i really need some ones help if you know what i need to do. I think its in the css or i need to add something to the id.

1.Basically the menu you see is made with images and if you click restore down and move the window to the right like split screen you will see once the menu button cannot be displayed it jumps down. I don't want that. There's gotta be a way to have it fixed. I rather not use absolute if not needed cuz that gives me bugs.

2. If you hit the same restore button in the browser and mover the bottom part of the window up you can see the background image i got is also moving.

Below is the code css.

#background {background-image:url(i/background.gif); background-attachment:fixed; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:center;}

#menu ul {margin:0; padding:0; list-style-type:none;}
    #menu li {display:inline; padding: 2px 2px 2px 2px}
    #menu ul li a {text-decoration:none; padding: 1px 1px 1px 1px;}
    #menu a {text-decoration:none color:#33CC00 }
    #menu a:hover {color: purple; background:#FFFF00 }

Any help would be appreciated Ill even pay 2$ or something I know its not much but i know some people will know exactly what i need to put in to fix.

My yahoo id is website.designer101 if you got yahoo.

billycundiff{float:left;} silver trophybronze trophy RyanReese's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a site / HTML to go along with it? Hard to do anything in the dark. We will do this for free .
    Twitter-@Ryan_Reese09
    http://www.ryanreese.us -Always looking for web design/development work

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanReese View Post
    Got a site / HTML to go along with it? Hard to do anything in the dark. We will do this for free .
    they wouldnt let me post the link i guess i need to do more posting here first which i will do. This place is greate.

But here it is toplinetools dot com slash home dot html i just got the 1 page on the server so dont only the page name home is what i am refering to

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Centauri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both issues can be fixed on the one element :
    Code:
    #background {
      background-image:url(i/background.gif);
      background-attachment:fixed;
      background-repeat:no-repeat;
      background-position:center top;
      min-width: 780px;
    }

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
    Both issues can be fixed on the one element :
    Code:
    #background {
      background-image:url(i/background.gif);
      background-attachment:fixed;
      background-repeat:no-repeat;
      background-position:center top;
      min-width: 780px;
    }
    Hey thanks that fixed the background when you pull the bottom edge up. It fixed most the links to except the contact link still wants to move down and the background kinda looks like its moving still when you resize the sides of the window.

I appreciate the help if anyone can help further that would be nice. I need to learn how that mid-width did that but for now it solved part of the issue. Thanks

I uploaded the new css after edit

I think i may need the whole background to move when you restore the browser down idk tell me what you guys think. I know i do need to fix the contact link, i don't see why it would do that when the rest are fine.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Centauri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The min-width needs to be 780px, not 750px - 750px is too narrow to allow the menu items to fit.

The background still moves when the window is made narrower due to the fixed position - background-attachment:fixed fixes the background position relative to the browser window, not the element to which it is applied, so when the window is made narrower it is still being positioned in the centre. Removing the background-attachment style will fix that.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh da i thought you put 750, well 780 fixed it and I'm glad for your help. Il tinker with the background-attachment to get it how i want. Once again thanks. and i need to read my css mastery book and really try to understand that instead of asking for the answer, its like cheating in school you know.