SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same ol' song and dance... how to pick a shared host

I've used two different shared hosts in the past. First host had little to no support and got slower and slower as time went on. Second host, has been fine for my personal blog and portfolio site, but the load time is waaaaaaaaay slow at certain times of the day.

How in the world do you find a shared host that is actually going to be fast? I know you don't want a host that is over-selling, but how do you know a host is overselling? I assume any host that is less than $10/mo and has unlimited everything is going to be oversold, but how do you find one that is going to be responsive. Trial and Error? I've been trying to read the reviews on sitepoint, but I feel like a lot of the time the reviewer is unaware of site load times.

I don't mind doing the research myself, but I can't figure out where to look or how to look.

All I want from my host is fast load times, all the time. I don't have huge traffic, I do have a lot of files, and it's very important when someone comes to my site it loads as fast as possible.

Obviously cheaper is nicer, but I don't mind spending a little extra to have a server that loads fast.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To be perfectly honest, the whole point of shared hosting is to stuff multiple people onto a server. The problem with this is the initial incentive is to squeeze as many people as possible before having to buy additional servers (cost cutting). And the other issue is you will get heavy duty users on the same server as you hogging the resources, there are only two ways you can guarantee a more fair distribution of resources your way.

The first is to use grid or cluster hosting. These essentially put everyone within a huge array of servers where all resources are balanced fairly equally (I say fairly but in case of traffic spikes resources may get diverted). The second is simply to go virtual or dedicated, more expensive but you know for sure you aren’t going to be hit by other people’s performance. If you still want shared hosting the only thing you can do is shop around, read reviews do some heavy research and then hope for the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we've been with United Hosting for years and they have awesome servers and support - http://www.unitedhosting.com/

You can choose either a UK or US server depending on what you're planning.

As per the forum rules I need to post a domain we have with them - http://www.stickydesign.co.uk

As per the forum rules I can confirm that I'm not associated with them in any way...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind doing the research myself, but I can't figure out where to look or how to look.
    Yes that is the most important thing you should do. Another good option other than sitepoint is webhostingtalk. Browse through and find out as many reviews possible as you can. You will get a general outlook of hosts by going through the verified reviews. If you need more informations you can open a thread to ask for direct experiences from customers on that host.

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    philm,

Thanks for that! I thought NOBODY read the sticky guidelines for this forum!

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How in the world do you find a shared host that is actually going to be fast? I know you don't want a host that is over-selling, but how do you know a host is overselling? I assume any host that is less than $10/mo and has unlimited everything is going to be oversold, but how do you find one that is going to be responsive. Trial and Error? I've been trying to read the reviews on sitepoint, but I feel like a lot of the time the reviewer is unaware of site load times.
    The fast by what? You know connection speed depends on the network providers which web hosting company have. I suppose that should be asked when you send the list of the pre-sales questions to them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the most important things are to avoid using hosting services from oversellers and to check the provider's business record and customer appreciation.
    HostColor.com
    Colocation | Dedicated Servers | VPS Hosting
    Web hosting provider since 2000

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the most important things are to avoid using hosting services from oversellers
    That would be mighty hard, given that most hosts rely on data centers that they don't own, and these oversell their bandwidth (it makes no economic sense not to). The focus should be on the second part of your post.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    That would be mighty hard, given that most hosts rely on data centers that they don't own, and these oversell their bandwidth (it makes no economic sense not to). The focus should be on the second part of your post.
    Not everyone rents servers though Although that does tend to be the way in USA more than UK, that companies will rent servers rather than colocate their own servers and infrastructure.

It's impossible to totally avoid overselling, because to an extent all the major carriers do it, so somewhere in the chain their will be overselling - although at the carrier level it's between so many customers and spread worldwide that it's rarely an issue.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be asking just as many questions about the level of support available When the poo hits the fan it'll be all you care about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont put TOO MUCH stock in host reviews anymore, I have tried some with terrible reviews and they turned out fantastic.

I have been with Aplus, MediaTemple, GoDaddy, HostGator, HostMonster, and Yahoo. Possibly a few others.

My favorite was Aplus for about 5 years, and now Im with MediaTemple going on a little over two months and they are phenemonol.

I am not associated with MT at all, my domain with them is jream.com.