SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict mixmastermidori's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optimal file size?

I have a simple animation with a guy's head moving back and forth, which I made in Flash 5. I optimized the vector graphic using Modify > Optimize, but the animation is still 115k. I still want to add sound and another simple animation, but I can't do it if it's going to take a long time to load (this animation is going on the home page). The file now contains 2 keyframes with the head in 2 positions and frames to extend the time of the animation (no motion tweening).

What is the optimal file size for something on a home page (something that loads automatically and people don't have a choice of having it load or not)? Also, are there any secrets to optimizing a vector graphic further? Is it worth having a pre-loader?

Thanks!
    -Midori
    Nature's Sunshine herbs and supplements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    115 kB is a bit too much imho...try keeping it under 50k especially when it is not the main content of the website. people wouldn't accept 100k pictures either.

SitePoint Addict mixmastermidori's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool. I'll try to keep it under 50k. I try to keep images under 20k, and I was wondering if there was a rule like that for Flash files. I was able to bring the size of the file to 26k from 115k.

Thanks so much for your input!
    -Midori
    Nature's Sunshine herbs and supplements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would keep the total homepage swf to < = 50K. Always break things up into multiple swf and preload everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    115 KB is good size. If you going to add sound make sure to import the sound as at 8 KPBS at Fast or Best Quality and then set the sound with actionScript.