SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New PS CS4 install - glitches

I bought a used version of photoshop cs4 from a popular on-line store, was a retail version and was not registered. The install went okay, however there are some glitches, trying to figure out if the software is faulty or corrupted, or do I need to do some maintainence on my PC. I run WinXP 160gb hd, 512ram, should be able to handle the program, I was using ph 7 for the longest time.

Anyhow, I was on the phone with adobe last night, and they cut me off saying they had tech difficulties and to call them back. I wasn't able to, so figured I'd reach out to the good folks here at sitepoint for some thoughts.

My first warning was the "photoshop encountered a problem with the display drive, disabled GPU enhancements. Update your driver from the drivers webstie - enhancements can be turned on in preferences > performance".
    I was not able to access the performance feature or any others in preference, the entire program crashes each and every time. This apparently is a known issure according to the Adobe website, they suggested the exact driver to update to. I downloaded it, it was apparently not compatable however. What I did do however was switch to the same driver, but the windows version, I am now at least able to access the performance menu, but cannot access the GPU enhancements. I do see that with regard to my available ram, it's 186, that doesn't sound right.

The other issues involve faint text in the menu's, which is more than likely due to the driver issue. Though I haven't studied all of the new features of CS4, a couple other things struck me as odd. One is that I am unable to lock layers together, the other oddity is the when using the pen tool, it does not create vector masks, just the line structure.

If any of this sounds formiliar to anyone, please reply. I appreciate your input and thank you. I'm hoping it isn't a matter of adding more ram, which wouldn't be the worst case scenario. I'd love to just hit the ground running...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was under the impression that CS4 wouldn't even try to install if you had less than a gig of ram (that's with WP suite though, not just PS).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you looked for patches which have been published since release?

S