SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right i am following these tutoral thingies and i am seting some stuff up to work offline.Running windows 2000. So far i have got Apache installed and working mysql seens to be working although it is just standing still when i run it and wont let my type anything this is prob what its meant to do have not read ahead yet. And ran the php 4 setup program. I am hearing that php can be installed as an Apache module how do you do this ?? I was hold that the php CGI is not that good and not to do that. So how i get it to work the best possible way with apache

Cheers
    Tutorals look great

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running the CGI version of PHP with Apache is definitely a silly thing to do. Besides resulting in slower access times and higher system load, it disables several useful features of PHP.

However, running Apache for Windows seems (to me, at least) to be an even sillier proposition. The Windows version of Apache is much slower than its Unix counterpart and (as the install program doubtless informed you) is of only marginal stability since it's basically just an experimental port of the Unix version -- beta software.

Installing PHP as a loadable module for Apache involves recompiling PHP from its source code using a C/C++ compiler.

Instead, I would recommend using either Microsoft IIS (included with Windows 2000) or Sambar Server as your Web server. Both of these are designed to run quickly and efficiently under Windows, and both support installing PHP 4.x using the ISAPI plugin -- which avoids any hassles like recompiling PHP from the source code.

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    right i installed it as instructed for IIS and i got the sample php scirpt running nice one kevin. I though Apache may of been silly but the tutoral said to use apache so i did this is fofline work for a site that will be hosted using unix and apache (well its more than likely) so i wanted to use the same server to avoid any problems but i supose php is php no matter on the web server or platform. Kevin you have done a ace job and I promise that if i ever become half as good as you at anything to do with web design i will help as many people as possible to better there skills. I am currently 17 and very into the web design stuff and want to improve my skills your tutorial came at just the right time as whe i was geting Curious on databases and how there interacted with the web. And on my favorite site for web design and webmaster info. Nice one Kevin and Matt and all the other helpers. Best of luck to you all in the future and whatever it brings no doubt you will hear from me as soon as i have some probs but thanks again. you guys are what makes the internet what it is today.