User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple CSS layout problem (3 Column)

Hi guys

setting up the layout div's for a new website.

Essentially i have three divs that will act as columns. I want a central (centered) column of fixed width 1000px. and the left and right columns to scale their width according to the remaining screen width. The three columns currently sit inside an overall container div.

Here is the code:

HTML ...

Code:
    <div id="container">
    <div id="left_header"></div>
    <div id="central_header"></div>
    <div id="right_header"></div>
    </div>
    and CSS ...

Code:
    body {margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-left:0px; margin-right:0px; }

#container {height:200px; width:100%;}

#left_header {float:left; height:200px; width:100px; background-image: url(img/heading-left.png);background-repeat: repeat-x;background-position: left top;}

#central_header {float:left; height:250px; width:1000px; background-image: url(img/main_header.png); background-position: left top;}

#right_header {float:left; height:200px; width:100px; background-image: url(img/heading-right.png); background-repeat:repeat-x; background-position: left top;}

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if I understand you right, all you need to do is using percents and not px in the width of the left and right header.

Visit us at J32Teez or Business-Cards.uni.cc
    Follow me on Twitter @J32Teez

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah thats what I thought and set it 50&#37; and 50% but this knocked them onto separate lines, then I realised 50 + 50 = 100% and that leaves no room for the 1000 px in the middle (mathematically speaking)

HELP!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah sure it will knock them in another line if you go with 50&#37;. 50 plus 50 is 100%. Where do you think the middle part is going if there is nothing the 100% space left

You have a quite wide area in the middle with 1000px so I would try the left and right side with 2 or 3 %. Don't forget there are still a lot of people having 1024x768 screen size.

Visit us at J32Teez or Business-Cards.uni.cc
    Follow me on Twitter @J32Teez

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try...

Code:
    body { margin-top:0px; margin-bottom:0px; margin-left:0px; margin-right:0px; }
    #container { height:200px; width:100&#37;;}
    #left_header { float:left; height:200px; width:100px; background-image: url(img/heading-left.png);background-repeat: repeat-x;background-position: left top; }
    #central_header { height:200px; width:100%; background-image: url(img/main_header.png); background-position: left top; }
    #right_header { float:right; height:200px; width:100px; background-image: url(img/heading-right.png); background-repeat:repeat-x; background-position: left top; }
    HTML Code:
    <div id="container">
    <div id="left_header"></div>
    <div id="right_header"></div>
    <div id="central_header"></div>
    </div>