SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please Help! How can I install more then one version of IE on a single computer.

Hello everyone, hope all is going well.
    I have all browsers installed on my Windows Vista Home Premium computer.
    But the problem is, I cannot have more then one version of internet explorer installed on this computer.

This is a nightmare because I have to load my files on other computers that have IE 6 to test in IE 6, this is also due to the fact that I cannot install IE 7 on the other computers without removing IE 6.

Does anyone know how I can have several or may I say install more then one version of Internet Explorer on a single computer?

I currently have IE 7 but cannot installed IE 6 and IE 6 on the other computer but cannot install IE 7 without first removing IE 6.

Please help, and thanks for any suggestions or recommendations.

IC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The old way is with Virtual PC. Microsoft offers this for free, as well as a disk image that has xp and ie6 on it.

A new way is Microsoft SuperPreview, which simulates IE6 as well as whatever version you have installed. It's free so far, and is in beta. I just tried it and like it pretty well.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could use Virtual PC or Microsoft SuperPreview (nowhere near as good and very bulky), however I would recommend you use the following...

http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/HomePage

IETester is a powerful and free little tool which allows you to view your website in all of the major versions of IE including 5.5, 6, 7 and 8, all in one very small application, all in tabs at the same time. It currently is much cleaner and less heavy duty than Microsoft’s solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    use Multiple IE from tredosoft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've changed my mind about Microsoft SuperPreview after actually trying to work with it. There's too much underdeveloped about it to really be of much use yet. SLOOOOOOOOW page loads, you can't navigate links, and bizairre display of anything position:fixed are among the biggest gripes.

Can't wait until we can start dropping IE6 support. Too bad it's going to take so long.

Twitter: @TimIgoe silver trophy TimIgoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you only need to see hwo the site renders in a browser, and you don't need to actually thoroughly test its functionality there is always a service like Browser Shots.

http://browsershots.org/

It'll allow you to take a screenshot of a site in any browser going.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way I would rely upon is the virtual PC route. Yes, you can hack ways to get to the rendering engine, but that doesn't cover the scripting engine in general. Which is where the magic happens.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just remember that multipleIE and IEtester are still only sharing the one copy of JScript between all the versions and so you will have the equivalent of each browser with JScript having been upgraded to the latest version any of those browsers shipped with rather than the actual versions each shipped with. While it is possible for people to upgrade JScript independently of the rest of IE very few actually do so. To be able to test each IE version with the JScript version it shipped with you have to use Virtual PC (or separate computers).
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    felgall, as I have made clear in another thread you should really have used the products before you talk about them

Quote from their official website...

IETester is a free WebBrowser that allows you to have the rendering and javascript engines of IE8, IE7 IE 6 and IE5.5 on Vista and XP, as well as the installed IE in the same process.
    I have physically checked the package myself and it does indeed ship each version of JScript for each version of the browser so yet again you have stated something about this product which is entirely untrue. IETester is as sandboxed as a virtual machine as every component of each browser has been carefully bundled with the package.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some parts of IE are shared with Windows and therefore the ONLY way possible to run separate versions of those parts is to run them in completely separate operating systems. Unless IETester actually runs as a VM (which it isn't) it must be using the base Windows install for at least a part of its code and therefore will not be really running that version of IE as it would be if it were the only version that is installed. Just because to you it looks like IE tester is running everything correctly doesn't mean that it is - how much of the JScript language have you actuially tested in all the different browsers and compared to how the browsers actually do run on a stand-alone system in order to actually confirm that they are actually identical. Personally I don't have trhe centuries of time to waste on testing IETester in order to verify which parts don't actually work properly in order to bother with starting to test it when I know that by running each IE in a VM that the code is guaranteed to be separate. From myour photo you look to be about 500 years too young to be able to say that you have checked the package and everything is definitely separate and working properly. All you can say is that as far as you can tell everything you tested works - but how much have you actually compared to running a completely separate copy of each version of IE to confirm that they actually match? At most a fraction that is so small as to effectively be 0&#37;.

Not saying that the program isn't producing the same results, just that without spending hundreds of years on testing it is impossible to prove that it is producing the same results and therefore you still don't know for certain after testing it there if it actually will work exactly the dsame for people who are only running that copy of IE.

It is easier to be certain that the results are correct when you run each IE in a separate VM. Running them any other way that doesn't have its own separate version of Windows to run in is just making the assumption that the results are the same (unless you also test in a separate VM version in order to verify it).
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have used multipleIE and IEtester.
    they are both great but i prefer virtual pc.

alexdawson, did you get the chance to see that each ie version in ietester is using its own version of jscript at run-time?

i'm asking this because "having own jscript in each ie version package" doesn't always mean "using own jscript at run-time".

thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well when serving JScript via IETester I used an API sniffing tool to directly check which DLL's were being invoked and in the case of each browser version, only the JScript DLL for active scripting was hooked which matched the exact DLL for that particular browser version, including MD5 checksum match for the original DLL. So what I can say is each version of IE within IETester is ONLY invoking the original JScript DLL for that browser from my testing... so unless some supernatural being has magically been able to allow an old JScript version to render new JScript or vice versa, I believe it is fairly safe to assume that whatever JScript is being rendered, it is in fact the JScript which was bundled with each browser version independently.

Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    From myour photo you look to be about 500 years too young to be able to say that you have checked the package and everything is definitely separate and working properly.
    Thanks for making assumptions about me from my picture, but unfortunately for you it does not require someone who is wise of many years to determine that if the only JScript engine being called matches the exact runtimes from that browser version, it stands to reason that what is rendered will match that product. And as I originally come from a programming background (Basic / .NET / Pascal / ASM) I think I trust my existing knowledge enough to be able to determine how an application is likely to function based on what link libraries it calls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks alex that's very helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by v1rgil View Post
    thanks alex that's very helpful.
    No problem, when people said about JScript being the same version I did want to put it to the test because even though the rendering engines are seperate DLL's I heard so many people say about JScript being the same for the product. But upon inspection, the JScript implementation for IETester is consistant with each version of IE (as it calls to the independant scripting DLL's for each browsers own JScript library) so I feel it is fair to say that however JScripting is rendered in IETester is in fact consistant with each browsers adoption

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That still doesn't prove that there isn't some part of IETester that is still using shared code rather than each being entirely separate since who outside of Microsoft actually knows what part of the code is shared between IE and Windows and is different depending on what version of IE is installed. You don't have to make the assumption that they are completely independent when you run them via virtual PC.

Also Microsoft themselves have had plenty of incentives from various court cases to separate out IE from Windows and have never been able to do so which makes it very unlikely that someone else has been able to do with Microsoft's software what Microsoft themselves can't do.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    felgall, don't take this the wrong way but at least I have done some investigation into how IETester functions before I started making claims about the product, where as you are making statements based on inuendo, blind assumptions and unsubstanciated claims without a single shread of reasonable evidence to back up whatever you have said (not to mention the fact that everything you have said on previous threads was proof enough you have never actually used the product). It just seems unprofessional to me that rather than accept the possibility that IETester may in fact do what the creator claims, you would rather pass conspiracy theories about Microsofts methodology.

Note: For the purposes of substanciating my claim of you never using the product I will refer to this post you made a reasonably short time ago which clearly shows a deficit in your working knowledge of IETester which unfortunately puts doubt on your ability to judge exactly whether the product in question can in fact perform as stated.

The multi-IE products such as IEtester rely on the browser being able to install the particular versions of IE in the first place. You can't install IE6 on Vista and so that is not an option there. You need an earlier Windows operating system to be able to run IE6 at all which makes the Virtual PC option the simplest one because that has a prepackaged XP/IE6 image from Microsoft to save your having to install anything apart from Virutal PC itself.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    rather than accept the possibility that IETester may in fact do what the creator claims

I would rather trust to something that definitely does it where it is unnecessary to accept claims or waste time on trying to prove or disprove the claims. All I am saying is that to prove that IETester actually does run each version of IE exactly as if they were the only one running on that copy of Windows either requires a lot of testing or acceptance of claims made by someone else whereas you don't have to waste any time running the tests and you don't have to take anyone's word for it that they have run the tests if you use the Virtual PC IE images which are guaranteed to work exactly the same as the full versions of IE because that is exactly what they are.

The product itself is always a better environment on which to test something than an emulation of the product is and no matter how much of IE itself is actually built into IETester, IE is not designed to run independently of Windows and so IETester is still only an emulation.

No I haven't wasted any time convincing myself 99.99&#37; that IETester is identical to running the actual versions of IE because running the actual versions of IE is 100% certain to be identical to running the actual versions and so any time spent looking at an alternative that can never be proved 100% to be identical is just that - a waste of time.

For that matter IE6 was never intended to run on Vista and so there is even more doubt as to whether IETester has actually copied all of the necessary components of the earlier Windows version in getting it to work on that environment.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually, my testing showed every DLL and component that the application made reference too so I know exactly what files are being used by the product, I also made sure to check for each version of the browser what files were being accessed (through the sniffer) and it did indeed only reference the components of that browsers original version (verified the DLL’s authenticity through MD5 checksum) and as the Jscript component library only makes reference to that single DLL that I have been able to find, I can say with some certainty that even though it may share common code, the Jscript element irrespective of any code sharing is indeed accurate to the browser.

But take that how you like, all I can do is report the findings of standardised testing to determine how the browser functions. Perhaps if I get time I will use a virtual machine and use the same sniffing tools to check how the natural browser calls functions and if they match then it will be a clear case of my data being accurate.

PS: I would not quit your day job and become any kind of scientist felgall because rather than answer the question properly with some genuine testing which would benefit people who ask in the future, you would rather dance around the issues with simply flawed claims when any programmer worth his salt can tell you that based on the information I have collected so far in respect to which code libraries are being called and shared in respect to the original browser and the one using the component code to call the same renderer, that IETester in this case does indeed render as stated, independently for each version.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    any programmer worth his salt can tell you that based on the information I have collected so far in respect to which code libraries are being called and shared in respect to the original browser and the one using the component code to call the same renderer, that IETester in this case does indeed render as stated, independently for each version.
    And any programmer worth his salt would also not waste time on testing something that might or might not work when there is an alternative available that is just as easy to use and is already guaranteed to work. As I said before - why run an emulation of the browser when you can run the real browser just as easily (particularly since Microsoft make the VPC images available so that you don't even need to run the operating system installs).
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And any programmer worth his salt would also not waste time on testing something that might or might not work when there is an alternative available that is just as easy to use and is already guaranteed to work.
    If that was even remotely true than IETester and the other emulator programs which have been produced (Including Super Preview by Microsoft themselves) would have never been created due to the availability of the existing ability to test browsers based on images (Well unless you are calling Microsoft a bunch of worthless timewasters). What you have said is as usual, completely groundless and without any slight amount of merit. Though I wonder how I should take the fact you have clearly aimed that insult at me knowing that I am a programmer and then declaring that what I have done out of pure interest seems to make me a worthless developer.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I never claimed you were a worthless programmer and doing what you have done through self interest is perfectly reasonable.

Also for the companies to create those products for whatever specific purpose that they created them for is also perfectly reasonable.

In the case of Super Preview it is Microsoft themselves who have created it and they presumably know exactly how windows and IE work so I'd expect that to work as well as Microsoft software normally works. I would also expect that the people who wrote IETester would have tested it themselves to try to make sure that it was as good an emulation as they can make it. There is always the possibility that they overlooked something though.

All I am saying is that using a VM you can run the real version of IE which is therefore guaranteed to work as that version of IE normally works and therefore unless the person is a programmer with enough interest in the emulator to check for themselves that it actually does work exactly as a stand alone copy would then the person is relying on someone else's claims that the emulation is correct in all regards.

Currently I do not have the time or interest in seeing if IETester works since I know without spending that time that I can get guaranteed results from VPC. If VPC did not exist then I would probably do exactly what you have done and verify for myself just how good an emulation that IETester is.
    Stephen J Chapman